VLOOKUP behaving erratically

sparky2205

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi folks,
There are 2 files: FileA and FileB, for simplicity sake. File B contains a simple vlookup to File A wrapped inside an IFERROR.
Both files are stored at different locations on the network.
When I open the files all is fine. The network location disappears from the formula. i.e. just the file name remains. This is the behaviour I expect.
When one of my colleagues opens the files the vlookup doesn't work. The part of the formula containing the network location is replaced with the #REF error. Not the whole formula, just the network location part. But this obviously results in the whole formula returning 0.

Sample formulas:
Working correctly (i.e. when I open the files);
With FileB closed =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B111,'\\vm-server1.vistamed.local\data on nas\NPI\Misc Items (logs_trackers_etc)\NPI & R&D Open Orders\[NPI & R&D Open Orders 2021.xlsx]OO 04-10'!$AA$2:$AC$62,3,FALSE),0) Part in bold is the network location of FileB
With FileB open =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B111,'[NPI & R&D Open Orders 2021.xlsx]OO 04-10'!$AA$2:$AC$62,3,FALSE),0) as expected network location has disappeared and all is well.

Not working correctly (i.e. when my colleague opens the files);
With FileB closed =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B111,'\\vm-server1.vistamed.local\data on nas\NPI\Misc Items (logs_trackers_etc)\NPI & R&D Open Orders\[NPI & R&D Open Orders 2021.xlsx]OO 04-10'!$AA$2:$AC$62,3,FALSE),0) Part in bold is the network location of FileB
With FileB open =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B111,#REF'[NPI & R&D Open Orders 2021.xlsx]OO 04-10'!$AA$2:$AC$62,3,FALSE),0) as stated above the network location is replaced with #REF

A new one on me guys. Have any of you ever seen this type of behaviour?

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Just spitballing, but I wonder if it has something to do with the order of which workbooks are saved/closed first., ie A save and close, then B save and close or vice versa.
I'm assuming your colleague has permissions to access that network location.

Upvote 0
No drive mapping going on. It's as simple as opening 2 files.
Yes, my colleague does have access to both files.

I did see someone recommend using INDIRECT before the lookup file destination but this was in relation to sharepoint files, so I don't know if it would have any affect here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back