vlookup - font color

haitham1984

Office Version
  1. 365
Hello All,

I am writing questions for a quiz and within each cell of that column (Questions Column), I am manually writing text with different font colors. The next 4 columns are the multiple choice answers for the question on the same row, which also can have different font colors. example:

Columns: A B C D E
What is the capital city of France.....Paris.....London.....Berlin.....Rome

I then use vlookup on another column (say column G to K) to arrange the questions in a pre-specified order. The Problem is that when I use vlookup the cells lose the font colors I used and also sub/superscripts for certain questions. Any ideas how to solve this problem please.

Thanks All,

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
You have hit an Excel limitation :eek:
Individual characters cannot be coloured in cells containing formulas

Upvote 0
.. but you could use a macro to copy/paste the values to retain their colour. Would need more detail about layout and sample data and how/when the rearrangement of order is to take place.

Upvote 0
.. but you could use a macro to copy/paste the values to retain their colour. Would need more detail about layout and sample data and how/when the rearrangement of order is to take place.
Hello Peter_SSs,

Thanks for your reply, I have attached an image of a sample of my data (since I can't upload a sample excel file here, correct? sorry Im kinda new here). Just a quick explanation: Table 1 (on the top) is roughly 2000 rows in height and it is where i enter the questions one after the other in no particular order. Table 2 (bottom) (where all formatting is lost: font colour, sub/superscripts) arranges the questions from Easy to Hard. Hope this helps, and thanks again for your effots.

Regards,

PS: Just incase you need it, the formula in cell C13 is:
=VLOOKUP(B13,$B$3:$H$9,2,FALSE)

and the formula for cell B13 is:
=IF(B12="Serial","Easy1",IF(COUNTIF($B12:B$13,"*Easy*")<COUNTIF($H$3:$H$9,"Easy"),CONCATENATE("Easy",COUNTIF($B12:B$13,"*Easy*")+1),IF(COUNTIF($B12:B$13,"*Medium*")<COUNTIF($H$3:$H$9,"Medium"),CONCATENATE("Medium",COUNTIF($B12:B$13,"*Medium*")+1),IF(COUNTIF($B12:B$13,"*Hard*")<COUNTIF($H$3:$H$9,"Hard"),CONCATENATE("Hard",COUNTIF($B12:B$13,"*Hard*")+1),"Error"))))

Attachments

• Sample Data.jpg
    Sample Data.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 0
Any chance you could upload that small sample file to Dropbox or OneDrive etc and provide a shared link here? Even for that small sample it would be a lot of manual typing and colouring to set up to test. :eek:

Are Easy, medium & Hard the only 3 levels?

How is B3:B9 populated? Manually? Formula?

Do you really need column B in either table? If we could just get the list with all Easy first then all medium second and all Hard last, would that do? It isn't a problem to have that column, I was just thinking that you possibly only had it for your VLOOKUP (which didn't work).

I also suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any chance you could upload that small sample file to Dropbox or OneDrive etc and provide a shared link here? Even for that small sample it would be a lot of manual typing and colouring to set up to test. :eek:

Are Easy, medium & Hard the only 3 levels?

How is B3:B9 populated? Manually? Formula?

Do you really need column B in either table? If we could just get the list with all Easy first then all medium second and all Hard last, would that do? It isn't a problem to have that column, I was just thinking that you possibly only had it for your VLOOKUP (which didn't work).

I also suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)
Here is a link to the file: sample data.xlsx

Yes, it's a lot of work.

Yes, there are only 3 levels, and B3:B9 are populated automatically. Yes I need column B because the actual file uses it for another reason also.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the file link. (y)

B3:B9 are populated automatically.
Firstly, a much simpler formula for column B would be this in B2 and copied down
=H2&COUNTIF(H$2:H2,H2)

Assuming data in columns A:H and nothing in columns J:Q, try this with a copy of your workbook. Post back if you need help with implementation.

VBA Code:
Sub Rearrange()
  Dim lngCalc As Long, lngLastRow As Long, i As Long

Const sSortOrder As String = ",Easy,Medium,Hard"

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  lngCalc = Application.Calculation
  Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
  lngLastRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
  For i = 1 To 8
    Columns(i).Offset(, 9).ColumnWidth = Columns(i).ColumnWidth
  Next i
  Range("A1:H" & lngLastRow).Copy Destination:=Range("J1")
  With Range("K2:K" & lngLastRow)
    .Value = .Value
  End With
  ActiveSheet.Sort.SortFields.Clear
  ActiveSheet.Sort.SortFields.Add2 Key:=Columns("Q"), Order:=xlAscending, CustomOrder:=sSortOrder
  With ActiveSheet.Sort
    .SetRange Range("K1:Q" & lngLastRow)
    .Header = xlYes
    .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
    .Apply
  End With
  Columns("Q").Delete
  Application.Calculation = lngCalc
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks for the file link. (y)

Firstly, a much simpler formula for column B would be this in B2 and copied down
=H2&COUNTIF(H$2:H2,H2)

Assuming data in columns A:H and nothing in columns J:Q, try this with a copy of your workbook. Post back if you need help with implementation.

VBA Code:
Sub Rearrange()
  Dim lngCalc As Long, lngLastRow As Long, i As Long

Const sSortOrder As String = ",Easy,Medium,Hard"

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  lngCalc = Application.Calculation
  Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
  lngLastRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
  For i = 1 To 8
    Columns(i).Offset(, 9).ColumnWidth = Columns(i).ColumnWidth
  Next i
  Range("A1:H" & lngLastRow).Copy Destination:=Range("J1")
  With Range("K2:K" & lngLastRow)
    .Value = .Value
  End With
  ActiveSheet.Sort.SortFields.Clear
  ActiveSheet.Sort.SortFields.Add2 Key:=Columns("Q"), Order:=xlAscending, CustomOrder:=sSortOrder
  With ActiveSheet.Sort
    .SetRange Range("K1:Q" & lngLastRow)
    .Header = xlYes
    .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
    .Apply
  End With
  Columns("Q").Delete
  Application.Calculation = lngCalc
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
Thanks Peter...it works fine but there is a problem. When the questions are transferred to the table on the right, I lost all the vlookup formulas, and everything became text. The reason why i still need the formulas is because each level of questions (Easy,Medium,Hard) has roughly 600 questions per level, and i ordered them randomly which requires the use of the vlookup formula. Is there are a way to modify the macro to leave the formulas of each cells intact in the table on the right?

Sorry if i didn't mention this earlier and thanks again for your effort.

Upvote 0
No, as Yongle correctly stated earlier
Individual characters cannot be coloured in cells containing formulas

How/where are you ordering them randomly?

Presumably that is somehow in columns A:H. If you re-order them there in a different random order, can't you just run the macro again to get the new order in columns J:P?

Upvote 0
Sorry for the Delay in Replying,

Actually that wont work, guess I will have to do it manually. But that's okay, shouldn't take too long to do.

Thanks again for all your help, and take care

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back