vlookup formula, if match found = specific date otherwise leave blank

Katherine Falin

Let me start by saying, I'm new to formulas. I need a vlookup formula to find policy numbers matches. If a match is found then insert a specific date "8/22/2014". If no match is found, leave cell blank. A friend at work gave me this one to try. =IF(VLOOKUP(K3,'Eligible Pol Remailed 8.22'!J:J,1,FALSE)=TRUE,"","8/22/2014")
The formula will insert the date, but I am still receiving the NA error message. Suggestions?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Let me start by saying, I'm new to formulas. I need a vlookup formula to find policy numbers matches. If a match is found then insert a specific date "8/22/2014". If no match is found, leave cell blank. A friend at work gave me this one to try. =IF(VLOOKUP(K3,'Eligible Pol Remailed 8.22'!J:J,1,FALSE)=TRUE,"","8/22/2014")
The formula will insert the date, but I am still receiving the NA error message. Suggestions?

Try...

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(K3,'Eligible Pol Remailed 8.22'!J:J,0)),"8/22/2014"+0,"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum

Have you tried like this?

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(K3,'Eligible Pol Remailed 8.22'!J:J,1,FALSE))=TRUE,"","8/22/2014")

Upvote 0
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(K3,'Eligible Pol Remailed 8.22'!J:J,1,FALSE)),"","8/22/2014")

This will evaluate the vlookup and if it return's "#N/A" then it leaves the cell blank otherwise the date will be inserted.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the great responses. I tried this one =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(K3,'Eligible Pol Remailed 8.22'!J:J,0)),"8/22/2014"+0,"") and it worked perfectly. Since I have several other formulas to work into this spreadsheet, I will definitely refer back to this thread. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the great responses. I tried this one =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(K3,'Eligible Pol Remailed 8.22'!J:J,0)),"8/22/2014"+0,"") and it worked perfectly. Since I have several other formulas to work into this spreadsheet, I will definitely refer back to this thread. Thanks again!

You are welcome.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back