Vlookup/formula question

bzblewski

I am using the vlookup function accross two tabs. . . we'll call them TAB1 and TAB2. On TAB1 I have all my base information which I am referencing from, TAB2 is the sheet where i am using the vlookup formula to extract the information i need from TAB1.

Using cell B2 as an example from TAB2:
I used a vlookup formula in cell B2 and got the information from TAB1. The vlookup formula pulled, correctly, cell F17 from TAB1.

Here is the issue:
Instead of the formula reading "=vlookup(...)". I would like the cell to simply read =F17.

Any ideas on how i can do this easily? I am doing this for alot of cells. . .

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
my manager wants it to read =F17 as it is more simple than deciphering a vlookup function. he can then determine if it is ultimately the right information and can compare the spreadsheets more easily.

I know it sounds silly, but this is my life :)

Upvote 0
I don't understand either. If you don't want to use VLOOKUP, just go ahead and manually link to the cells. Then you'll see "=F17" in the cells. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work though...

EDIT: Just read your post above. You can try adding a formula next to your VLOOKUP cell to provide the reference. Something like this:

On TAB2, next to your VLOOKUP cell try:
Code:
="B"&MATCH(A1,Sheet1!A:A,FALSE)

Where A1 is your lookup value and "B" is the column containing whatever data you are pulling by looking up A1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let me get this straight - so B1 could contain =F17, and B2 could contain =F6, and B3 could contain =F301, for example.

Have I got this right ?

This seems crazy.
I think your time would be better spent explaining to your boss how VLOOKUP works :)

I think it would be possible to write a formula that does this, but it seems like a complete waste of time to me.

Upvote 0
long story short, i can tell excel which cells i would like to link A WHOLE LOT FASTER using vlookup than just linking the individual cells. But ultimately, by the higher ups i work with, the cell needs to read, simply
"=cell"

from what i am getting, this doesn't sound possible. . . .

Upvote 0
Wow!

Yes it could be done. But, surely you'd never do it? Just image what happens when either the value being looked up or the lookup table data changes!

Suggest you tell your manager you can't do it. And maybe offer instead to put in another column that returns just the row number in the looked up table. Say using a MATCH formula.

Good luck. Regards, Fazza

Upvote 0
& boss responds with something to the effec "why not, I'm the most important person round here" point them towards this thread. The closest I'd go to this would be, as already suggested, have the vlookup return the result in one cell & next to it return the address:

If your vlookup was:

=VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B4,2,0)

then:

=ADDRESS(MATCH(C1,A1:A4,0),1)

Upvote 0
" i can tell excel which cells i would like to link "

Also - you don't need to link to a cell - that's what the vlookup()'s doing for you?!?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back