VLOOKUP from Partial Strings

Senior_OIE

I have a report that I need to get the return as the facility name. I am trying to see if a formula or a macro will solve my problem.
So in the sample below, I need to look up values on the First Sheet Column A (3 digit zips) and compare it with column B (3 digit zip to look up from) on the Second Sheet and return values on Column A (Facility Name) and place it on First Sheet Column B. Now if you notice Column B on Second sheet has a sting of values which represent the range of zips that belongs to a certain facility. That is the problem in my look up. I am not really familiar with vlookup with partial strings involved.

First Sheet:
Column A (3 digit zip-lookup value) Column B (where to place return value facility name)
900 Los Angeles PDC
918 Industry PDC
926 Santa Ana PDC

Second Sheet
Column A (Facility Name - return value) Column B (3 digit zips - look up from)
Los Angeles ,900,901,902,907,908
Industry PDC ,918,917,906,
Santa Ana PDC ,926,927,

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Maybe something like

B2 copied down
=INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,MATCH("*"&A2&"*",Sheet2!B:B,0))

Hope this helps

M.

Upvote 0
I cant get that to work.
Keeps comin up with #N/A error.

Worked for me
Sheet2
A
B
Location​
ZIPs
Los Angeles​
900,901,902,908​
Industry PDC​
918,917,906​
Santa Ana PDC​
926,927​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Main sheet

A
B
ZIP​
Location​
900​
Los Angeles​
918​
Industry PDC​
926​
Santa Ana PDC​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Formula in B2 copied down
=INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,MATCH("*"&A2&"*",Sheet2!B:B,0))

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
no this didnt work.

What I needed is First sheet Column B to be my main area to write the formula from. Also there is only one lookup value i use and compare it against a column of strings so for example I want to look up 900 from a series of numbers ,900,901,902,907,908,. since 900 is within that series of strings separated by commas, it will then return Los Angeles PDC and place it in Column B on the first sheet.. I don't know if a formula works for that or a macro will work better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
no this didnt work.

What I needed is First sheet Column B to be my main area to write the formula from. Also there is only one lookup value i use and compare it against a column of strings so for example I want to look up 900 from a series of numbers ,900,901,902,907,908,. since 900 is within that series of strings separated by commas, it will then return Los Angeles PDC and place it in Column B on the first sheet.. I don't know if a formula works for that or a macro will work better.

Worked perfectly for me. See post 4
Assumes the name of data sheet = Sheet2. Check

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A more robust solution would be an array formula using definite ranges (recommended) like
=INDEX(Sheet2!A$2:A$1000,MATCH("*,"&A2&",*",","&Sheet2!B$2:B$1000&",",0))
confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
oh you are right, it works. i just had issues with my columns as i had other columns before and after my lookup values. had to edit the formula a bit. but thanks!

Upvote 0
oh you are right, it works. i just had issues with my columns as i had other columns before and after my lookup values. had to edit the formula a bit. but thanks!

Yes, it works!
You are welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back