Vlookup help cross referencing cell against another sheet to return value of another cell

Alex p h

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
Can someone please help I’m trying to make a order sheet that translates alternative part numbers to my part numbers. I have a full list of the numbers in one sheet and in main sheet I’m trying to use Vlookup to find the exact match of what I type in to a cell from the other sheet and if is found then returns what is in column a in that row it has been found in, but it just won’t work for some reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
do you have an example you can post here

what column are the part numbers in
Vlookup tends to work left to right
you say column A

Index(Sheet2!A:A, match( cell with part number to lookup , column with the part number in , 0 ))

Note: Images are difficult to see , and also requires that I input all the data myself, which is very time consuming.

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data and will allow us to copy/paste your sample data into our Excel spreadsheets, saving a lot of time.

You can also test to see if it works ok, in the "Test Here" forum.

OR if you cannot get XL2BB to work, or have restrictions on your PC , then put the sample spreadsheet onto a share
I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.

Upvote 0
do you have an example you can post here

what column are the part numbers in
Vlookup tends to work left to right
you say column A

Index(Sheet2!A:A, match( cell with part number to lookup , column with the part number in , 0 ))

Note: Images are difficult to see , and also requires that I input all the data myself, which is very time consuming.

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data and will allow us to copy/paste your sample data into our Excel spreadsheets, saving a lot of time.

You can also test to see if it works ok, in the "Test Here" forum.

OR if you cannot get XL2BB to work, or have restrictions on your PC , then put the sample spreadsheet onto a share
I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.

Thank you any help is much appreciated. Basically I’m trying to make a customer order form that customer can fill in with whatever part numbers they are familiar with and it will translate to my part numbers

Upvote 0
try
=INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!B:B,0))

is that what you needed

test (1).xlsx
ABC
4Part number for input to be cross referenced on other sheetPart number to retrieve from colum a on other sheet if match is found
6QtyPart NumberTruflow Part Number
7r5000-02-02B1F-02-02
8R5404-10-08B1M-08-10
order
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C7:C8C7=INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!B:B,0))

Upvote 0
try
=INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!B:B,0))

is that what you needed

test (1).xlsx
ABC
4Part number for input to be cross referenced on other sheetPart number to retrieve from colum a on other sheet if match is found
7r5000-02-02B1F-02-02
8R5404-10-08B1M-08-10
order
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
Yes that’s it but I need to span fitting list b-I
Thank you soo much

Upvote 0
Yes that’s it but I need to span fitting list b-I
what does that mean - you want the full row returned

test (1).xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJ
5SizeRyco ParkerAquip Pirtek Child Hydraulink
7r5000-02-02B1F-02-021/8S26-02021/8GG33MSB2096-2W-02-02CB9-0202E-E-0202
8R5404-10-08B1M-08-101/2 x 5/8S27-10085/8-1/2FF33MS4008-8-10D-10-08CB1-1008A-A-0810
order
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D7:J8D7=INDEX('fitting list'!C:C,MATCH(order!$B7,'fitting list'!$B:$B,0))

Upvote 0
what does that mean - you want the full row returned

test (1).xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJ
5SizeRyco ParkerAquip Pirtek Child Hydraulink
7r5000-02-02B1F-02-021/8S26-02021/8GG33MSB2096-2W-02-02CB9-0202E-E-0202
8R5404-10-08B1M-08-101/2 x 5/8S27-10085/8-1/2FF33MS4008-8-10D-10-08CB1-1008A-A-0810
order
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D7:J8D7=INDEX('fitting list'!C:C,MATCH(order!$B7,'fitting list'!$B:$B,0))
Sorry, to clarify in example if cell order b7 matches anything in fitting list columns b-I it returns the value of fittings list column a in that row

Upvote 0
Size column appears the same throughot - column C

so you want to return column A

if what every is entered into B7 exists in any column on the list sheet from column B to Column I

so size 1/8th - what happens
also you have other tables where D to I is duplicated but has different part numbers in A

I have added a count, and quite a few columns have 2 items or more

i think maybe using an IFERROR on each column , so it finds the first match
quite a nested lookup though

I'm sure there are betterways, i will have a think , sure i have something for finding a match in a grid

=IFERROR( INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!B:B,0)), IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!C:C,0)), IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!D:D,0)), IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!E:E,0)),etc

test (1).xlsx
ABC
7S27-0202B1M-02-02
81/4-1/8FF33MSB1M-02-04
9A-A-0206B1M-02-06
10no Match
11no Match
12no Match
13no Match
14no Match
15no Match
16no Match
order
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C7:C16C7=IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!B:B,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!C:C,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!D:D,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!E:E,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!F:F,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!G:G,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!H:H,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!I:I,0)),"no Match"))))))))

Upvote 0
Size column appears the same throughot - column C

so you want to return column A

if what every is entered into B7 exists in any column on the list sheet from column B to Column I

so size 1/8th - what happens
also you have other tables where D to I is duplicated but has different part numbers in A

I have added a count, and quite a few columns have 2 items or more

i think maybe using an IFERROR on each column , so it finds the first match
quite a nested lookup though

I'm sure there are betterways, i will have a think , sure i have something for finding a match in a grid

=IFERROR( INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!B:B,0)), IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!C:C,0)), IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!D:D,0)), IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!E:E,0)),etc

test (1).xlsx
ABC
7S27-0202B1M-02-02
81/4-1/8FF33MSB1M-02-04
9A-A-0206B1M-02-06
10no Match
11no Match
12no Match
13no Match
14no Match
15no Match
16no Match
order
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C7:C16C7=IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!B:B,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!C:C,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!D:D,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!E:E,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!F:F,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!G:G,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!H:H,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!I:I,0)),"no Match"))))))))
The size column I am still to remove but in column d the only duplicates should be n/a just for my reference that there is nothing available by that manufacture for that part

Upvote 0
ok, so remove the size column lookup part for column C

test (1).xlsx
ABC
7S27-0202B1M-02-02
81/4-1/8FF33MSB1M-02-04
9A-A-0206B1M-02-06
10no Match
11no Match
12no Match
13no Match
14no Match
15no Match
16no Match
order
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C7:C16C7=IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!B:B,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!D:D,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!E:E,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!F:F,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!G:G,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!H:H,0)),IFERROR(INDEX('fitting list'!A:A,MATCH(order!B7,'fitting list'!I:I,0)),"no Match")))))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back