vlookup: how tu use colum names instead of colum numbers

brf82

I have a data base that is feeded by 9 other data bases. There is a set of 50columns but the order of each column is diferent or dynamic in each small database. I need to send the information daily to the major database (pheraps I need to program some macros here)

Then I need to call the function vlookup for a column but I don´t want to be identified by the colum number but the column name, because the order of this columns can be altered by the flow of data that keeps coming(expanding the number of new columns of information)

Can you tell me a function that does this?

I have a solution: I created an associated list with numbers 1,2,3, n that I associate to the names, to sort them out, in the original vlookup structure.
Or maybe I could use a Hlookup inside a vlookup to identify the column name...

Can it be simplified?

Thank you

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.

brf82

For the database problem I think will use filters to grab the set of columns from the minor databases to paste them in the major database( but I still need to sort the column structure to fit the major structure first)

For the second problem I found answer here. http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43384

thanks

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmajewsk

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...