VLOOKUP (I Think?) Application

MntnrMark

Board Regular
I have several worksheets within a file. Each of the respective worksheets (minus one - the "master", described below . . . please overlook the politically incorrect use of that terminology; I didn't select it) is a monthly summary of hours worked on individual calendar days by several individual employees. Each employee's time is grouped together in rows (see the screenshot below for an example. It stops at Row 19 in the screenshot below, but goes on for hundreds of rows in the real file).

1626384444898.png

On the "master" worksheet (the first worksheet in the file, named "Rates") are a list of names, their respective work positions, and the hourly rate for their respective positions (see the screenshot below).

1626384552424.png

The list of names and rates goes on for several hundred rows too.

What I need to do is look up names on the "master" and fill in their specific rates on each of the monthly worksheets (i.e., Column D's in the above screenshot). In the above example, Cell D2 would show $65 an hour, Cell D8 would show $70 an hour, etc., as listed on the "master" by association with the individual person.

I think this is a VLOOKUP candidate. I'm thinking I'd put a VLOOKUP formula in Cell D2, search for the individual name on the "master" to find a person's rate and then display it. Then (hopefully) by copying the formula in D2 downward for the several hundred rows in each monthly worksheet I could then show very person's rate from the master.

I've tried to figure this out on my own but I'm stumped. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
=vlookup(A2,Rates!A2:Cx,3,False) where x is the last row in the Rates Sheet

Upvote 0
Change the formula to =vlookup(A2,Rates!A2:Cx,2,False)

This changes the column you are looking for from 3rd to 2nd column in the lookup range.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back