VLOOKUP in PowerPivot

funky2406

Hi

this is my first post. I think this question has been asked already before but I wasn't able to understand the answers so please be patient with me.
I'm quite new in PowerPivot and I am trying to convert an old excel file in a new one using PowerPivot.

In my PowerPivot I have two tables (linked to excel tables):

- the first table called "dimCars"<dimcars> with two fields: [BrandID] and [Brand]
- the second table called "factSales"<factsales> with three fields: [Date], [BrandID], [CustomerID]

Extract of the two tables as follows:

table: "dimCars"<dimcars></dimcars>
BrandID
Brand
VW
Audi
Mercedes Benz
Toyota
Hyundai
Volvo
Renault
Nissan

<tbody>
</tbody>

table: "factSales"<factsales></factsales>
Date
BrandID
CustomerID
CalculatedColumn: Brand
A001245
=VLOOKUP([@BrandID];dimCars[#All];2;FALSE)
A002486
Hyundai
B00486
Audi
C04663
Mercedes Benz
A003496
Toyota
Z45069
Renault
YA48060
Nissan
D048804
Hyundai

<tbody>
</tbody>

The relationship between the two tables is a one to one relationship between the [BrandID] Primary Key in the parent table "dimCars" and the [BrandID] Foreign Key in the child table "factSales"<dimcars[brandid]><factsales[brandid]> .

In the second table ("factSales"<factsales>) in PowerPivot I want to add a calculated column that will lookup the [BrandID] value and will return the corresponding [Brand] value from the <dimcars> table "dimCars".

In a few words, I want to do a VLOOKUP formula (I wrote the Excel VLOOKUP formula in the table "factSales" for more detail), but i just want to do it in PowerPivot using DAX.

Until now I searched everywhere in google and in several posts but didn't find the answer to this.
Am I wanting to do something wrong?
Is there a way to do this in PowerPivot?

Your reply(es) would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Frank</dimcars></factsales></factsales[brandid]></dimcars[brandid]></factsales></dimcars>

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I think your calculated column in factSales needs to be simply:

=REALATED(dimCars[Brand])

Upvote 0
hi GDRIII

thanks for the reply.
I will try it later at home (I don't have PowerPivot in the office :(.
I will let you know how it works.
Cheers
Frank

Upvote 0
Since " =REALATED(dimCars[Brand]) " worked in the calculated column in factSales was the reason that VLOOKUP is just not compatible with this particular table and if so in what instance would VLOOKUP be suitable in PowerPivot?

Upvote 0
... was the reason that VLOOKUP is just not compatible with this particular table and if so in what instance would VLOOKUP be suitable in PowerPivot?

There is no VLOOKUP in PowerPivot/Dax, the formula that is similar is called RELATED() but in most cases you do not even need that as the "lookup"-connection between your tables is already working when you create a relationship between the tables.

In the example above you can create the calculated column with RELATED() as proposed by GDRIII or you can use the brand and/or brand ID from dimCars table in a pivot to see the sales per brand from fact table

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back