VLOOKUP MATCH Not returning all results

RJSIGKITS

Board Regular
Hi Guys.
I wonder if anyone could help to shed some light on something I'm struggling with here.. I'm trying to do a simple VLOOKUP MATCH as follows:
On Sheet 'HomeQuote' I have a DV dropdown in cell D15 that the user selects a model, in this example selecting H1.
('Home Quote'!$D$15)

I have a table called 'QtyTable' on sheet 'Costs'. This has the different models in the top headers along C1:O1 (Headers)
Components are listed in A2:A155, with the quantity of components required for each model listed below the model.

On sheet 'SOL', I am trying to make a component Qty order list for the specific model selected.
Column A has the same components listed as per 'QtyTable' I need the quantities to return for the model in column B

The formula that I have been trying to use in column B on my SOL sheet is:
Code:
=IF(A3="","",VLOOKUP(A3,QtyTable,MATCH('Home Quote'!$D$15,QtyTable[#Headers],0)))
This code is then copied down the rest of the column.

It seems to work for the first 5 rows, where it does return the correct qty for the model selected, but then everything below this is returning zero's, #NA's and random incorrect quantities in cells that shouldn't have a quantity...

I've been going round and round in circles with this, and I'm not getting anywhere...

steve the fish

Office Version
Platform
Windows
From what you describe i cant see any problem that immediately comes to mind. Certainly cant explain randomness as i cant see that thats possible. In the first row that produces an erroneous result check what the MATCH produces and that the lookup value is in the leftmost column of the lookup table.

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
You haven't specified the final argument in the vlookup formula, so it's doing an approximate match, try
=IF(A3="","",VLOOKUP(A3,QtyTable,MATCH('Home Quote'!$D$15,QtyTable[#Headers],0),0))

jasonb75

Office Version
Platform
Windows
It looks like the problem might be the missing exact match.

=IF(A3="","",VLOOKUP(A3,QtyTable,MATCH('Home Quote'!$D$15,QtyTable[#Headers],0),0))

edit:- must learn to type faster

Last edited:

RJSIGKITS

Board Regular
You've cracked it! Thanks!

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback

Forum statistics