VLOOKUP MULTIPLE COLUMNS

TUhl

With the knowlege that I have of Excel, VLOOKUP is the best function I know of to look up and match to other data in a workbook. If there is another way to do this please let me know.

I need to use 2 columns in a data array to match in order to be supplied with the correct item number that is also in the data array (in a different column). This is what I have tried:

=VLOOKUP(G2:H2,data array,1,false)

This is the part I am having trouble with

Help?!

Thank you

Toni

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I am a little confused. what is in your data array? And why would you want to return column 1? that would just return the value of G2...

You need to set it up so Data Array includes the first two columns are the two respective values you want to match in G2:H2. Then 1 should be changed to the column number of the data you wish to return.

If you could post what values are in G2:H2 and also what data is in your data array along with more explanation.

Upvote 0
I have 2 columns (F2:G2) that describe an item. When those two match I want it to return one specific item number. I moved my data array around so that now I have Item Size - Grade - Item # so now my formula looks like this:

=VLOOKUP(F2:G2,'ITEM #S'!A2:C10,3,FALSE)

Does this make sense?

Upvote 0
F3=INDEX(C2:C5,MATCH(1,(A2:A5=F1)*(B2:B5=F2),0)), which is an array formula and must be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (doing so correctly will result in Excel putting { }'s around your formula in the formula bar)
Book17
ABCDEF
1First NameLast NameValueLookup FirstScrappy
2ScoobyDoo1Lookup LastDoo
3ScrappyMcGee2Returned3
4ScrappyDoo3
5PappaSmurf4
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Oaktree --

I'm sorry but I don't understand the formula that you gave me. Can you give me more explination?

thanks

Upvote 0
The formula I suggested matches F1 against column A and F2 against column B. It returns the (first) value from column C where the intersection occurs.

Since Row 4 matches both "Scrappy" in column A and "Doo" in column B, 3, the value from C4, is returned.

Upvote 0
Ok, that is why it wasn't working, that isn't what I am trying to do. I am trying to do a basic VLOOKUP function but instead of a theoretical A1 matching something in the data array I want it to look at A1:B1 and match both in the data array and return with one number (from the 3rd column in the data array).

Does that make sense? Is it possible?

Upvote 0
Please give us an example of the data and the results of what you're trying to do (see the link to "Download Colo's HTML Maker..." to post a sample of your sheet as in my prior post)

Upvote 0
I downloaded the HTML maker, I opened it, enabled macros, and now i can't find it, it says that it is open when i try to reopen it. I'm sorry...obviously i'm new at this...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back