VLOOKUP not working if both worksheets not open

Tracey Hartley

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all. I've checked out previous threads and can see that this issue has been raised before, but I've tried the suggested solutions and it makes no difference - hoping someone can help?

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP([@Name],'M:\InspireAll Generic and Admin\Staff Admin\Audit\All Staff Audit _Fam Centre.xlsx'!AllStaff_Table[#All],11,FALSE),"Not Found")

Works beautifully if the All Staff Audit_Fam Centre file is open, but if I close it then make a change in the destination worksheet, it suddenly changes the cell back to "Not Found" - what am I doing wrong?!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
I suspect it's because you are looking up a table.
If you change the lookup range to cell references then you should be ok.

Upvote 0
Solution
That works :) and here was me, trying to keep things neat and tidy by referencing a table, rather than a range! Thanks for your prompt response and help!!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
Sorry, me again - it stopped working? If I remove the iferror from around the vlookup it works fine, whether or not the other workbook is open, but if I leave the iferror on, then it just returns "not found" for everyone?!
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP([@Name],'M:\InspireAll Generic and Admin\Staff Admin\Audit\[All Staff Audit _Fam Centre.xlsx]All Staff'!$A$1:$AK$179,11,FALSE),"Not Found") - this works sporadically
=VLOOKUP([@Name],'M:\InspireAll Generic and Admin\Staff Admin\Audit\[All Staff Audit _Fam Centre.xlsx]All Staff'!$A$1:$AK$179,11,FALSE) - this seems to work, but I'm frustrated by not being able to highlight those it can't find?!

Upvote 0
What if you try
Excel Formula:
=IFNA(VLOOKUP([@Name],'M:\InspireAll Generic and Admin\Staff Admin\Audit\[All Staff Audit _Fam Centre.xlsx]All Staff'!$A$1:$AK$179,11,FALSE),"Not Found")

Upvote 0
It doesn't update when I reopen and comes up with "Open source to update values"?

Upvote 0
In that case, I'm not sure what the problem as it works fine for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back