Vlookup on External Data query

clipper

I am trying to do a vlookup on another sheet which contains an external data query. The result of the lookup is #N/A eventhough I know that there is a valid match there.

For the moment I am working around this by copy the lookup reference from the external query to the destination sheet, which allows for the lookup to work. This however is too much maintenance work when new data is required to be looked up on.

I have seen on the microsoft website that there is an article (315961) which provides a couple of solutions such as trunc within the vlookup. I have tried these and they still don't work. The only solution that works is hard coding the value into the vlookup statement

Can anybody help me?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Not sure if it would work, but have you tried making the external data (in Book2) into a named range in Book1? Yoiu can then use the defined name in your VLOOKUP.
You'll need to use Insert | Name | Define and enter the range definition there.
Something like: ='[Book2]Sheet1'!$A$2:$J$250, assuming you are in the same folder.

Regards
Denis

Upvote 0
I have played around with the formating of the cells (to text) where the lookup reference resides and now I seem to have a compromise. By copy and poasting another working cell then replacing the value with the new item.

I'll see how that goes, just have to wait for data to be available for the new item.

Upvote 0
clipper said:
I have played around with the formating of the cells (to text) where the lookup reference resides and now I seem to have a compromise. By copy and poasting another working cell then replacing the value with the new item.

I'll see how that goes, just have to wait for data to be available for the new item.

Is the formula that you use a secret?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back