Vlookup or IF Statement Help

corewin

Hi all,
I need help with Vlookup
Currently I have a spreadsheet setup so that when I enter information in Column B on Column C looks up a vname (Which is on a different sheet) and puts the correct value in the box.
Everything works fine but I want to paste a large number of data into Column B and sometimes the info I paste will be missing a number at the end.
So for instants lets say I put in a35456 but its supposed to say a35456 01 I want to have it automaticly change column B and add the [space]01 to the end of it whenever column C has a value of #N/A. and then let me know that it did it by either copying that cell to another cell or highlighting it.
I don't know if this is possible.
If it isn't then maybe just have it so when it has an invalid entry (#N/A) in Column C it copies what I put in in column B to column A and adds [space]01 to it.
Currently the code in Column C is =VLOOKUP($B2,VName,2,FALSE)
I hope I explained that right
If any one has any ideas please let me know
Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
corewin,

You could use this to correct the input from column B if it was input without the " 01":
=VLOOKUP(IF(RIGHT(B2,3)=" 01",B2,B2&" 01"),vname,2,FALSE)

As for letting you know when that happened, you'd have to use conditional formatting

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.
Kind of works
The data i'm imputing will not have the " 01" at the end.
And only some of the them are supposed to have " 01" at the end the rest are as they supposed to be
So when I use this code
It fixes the issue with the ones that are supposed to have " 01" at the end but now it shows #N/A for the ones that do not have a " 01" at the end.
Any one have a solution?
Also if someone knows how I can use conditional formatting to highlight a cell if it made changes the the above formula that would be great.
Thank you guys

Upvote 0
If you have Excel 07 or 10 then this might do the trick:
Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(IF(RIGHT(B2,3)=" 01",B2,B2&" 01"),vname,2,0),VLOOKUP($B2,VName,2,0))

AMAS

Upvote 0
That worked
Thanks
Now the only thing I have to figure out is how I can create an conditional formula or something so I know that it had to make the change.

Upvote 0
Using conditional formatting, under the options state to highlight cells that 'ends with' 01 and give a special format (e.g. yellow).

AMAS

Upvote 0
Normally that would work.
But the formula

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(IF(RIGHT(B2,3)=" 01",B2,B2&" 01"),vname,2,0),VLOOKUP($B2,VName,2,0))

Does not technically add " 01" to B2 so the number in B2 does not change.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back