aravindhan_31

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have the data sheet 1 like country in column A, emp name in col B & Salary in Col C

In sheet 2, I have few names, in Col A like John, Peter Jack etc. I have to do a lookup and bring their salary in col B
I use simple lookup = vlookup(A2, Sheet1B:C,2,0) this works without any problem,
the challenge now is, I want to do this by excluding some countries,
eg. in sheet 1, under india & China I have the name John, when I do a lookup it gives me the first result. How do I exclude the countries in my lookup formula itself? if I say exclude india in the formula, then vlookup up result will be from china even though John name is there in India. if I exclude both china & India in my formula then no result should come.

Can someone help me with the formula or macro for this?

Regards
Arvind

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
A very simple "hack" if you are looking for the exact country would be to make a hidden column that combines the name and the country... =A1&B1 for example into cell X1.
Then you can search for the name and country: =vlookup(X1, Sheet1!D:E,2,0)

Upvote 0
I would suggest something similar, except I would have a list of countries to exclude, and use the helper column to pull in only the countries that do not appear on that list with a formula like...
=if(iserror(match(B2,list-of-counties,0)),"",B2)
where List-of-counties is your list and B2 contains the country name in your data base. Then just use that helper, instead of the actual list. If you are using VLOOKUP, you will need to add the helper to the LEFT of your current country column, otherwise you could use INDEX/MATCH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back