Vlookup or Index Match help

rdecker12

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am working on a project where I need to retrieve a data point from a separate pivot table. The value I am looking for has a unique ID and month that accompanies it. It is a large table that has thousands of unique ID's spanning across 12 months. To give you an example of what I am looking for... say the unique ID would be 40555 from January 1 2020... I need a formula to retrieve the data value from a separate pivot table that is also broken down by Unique ID and month.

I have a feeling this is an INDEX Match formula or Vlookup yet I am not even sure where to begin. Please let me know possible formulas you suggest.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Hi rdecker12,

You're right - index match is what you can use to accomplish your goal. The solution below uses named ranges for each column in the sheet the pivot table resides in. It does not look specifically at the pivot table; it looks at the columns the pivot table is in.

I don't know what data you're storing in you books, but the solution is lookup up the customers ID and expiration month from one pivot and retrieving the customers' number of orders and their total cost.

=INDEX(custOrderCount, MATCH(1, ($A2=custOrderID)*($B2=custEXPMonth), 0))

=INDEX(custOrderTotal, MATCH(1, ($A2=custOrderID)*($B2=custEXPMonth), 0))

Sorry for the expeditious gif, but just showing how the data is stored and how the columns in the Order Pivot worksheet are named ranges.

IndexMatchPivotData.gif

Upvote 0
Hi rdecker12,

You're right - index match is what you can use to accomplish your goal. The solution below uses named ranges for each column in the sheet the pivot table resides in. It does not look specifically at the pivot table; it looks at the columns the pivot table is in.

I don't know what data you're storing in you books, but the solution is lookup up the customers ID and expiration month from one pivot and retrieving the customers' number of orders and their total cost.

=INDEX(custOrderCount, MATCH(1, ($A2=custOrderID)*($B2=custEXPMonth), 0))

=INDEX(custOrderTotal, MATCH(1, ($A2=custOrderID)*($B2=custEXPMonth), 0))

Sorry for the expeditious gif, but just showing how the data is stored and how the columns in the Order Pivot worksheet are named ranges.

View attachment 43485
Awesome, thank you very much!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back