VLOOKUP or MATCH not working ?why?

RachelN76

Hi everyone,

I use VLOOKUP and INDEX MATCH a lot, but today I'm stumped.
It's not working and I can't figure out why.

I have two tabs of data. One I have painstakingly copied and pasted from a pdf because the export function in adobe just wasn't playing . I'm on a deadline, so that seemed like the fastest solution at the time.
Second tab has been exported from a query builder attached to a database. I don't have access to the proper back end of the database, just this builder where I can drag and drop things, and specify certain criteria.

In both tabs I'm looking for a ten digit number that is formatted as text. I want to look it up from tab A, and then return third column along from tab B. Simple.
But it won't work! If I select a cell in A that I KNOW is in B, and do Ctrl+F - it can find it no problem.
But it doesn't seem able to see it with MATCH or VLOOKUP.

Any ideas why this might be? Unfortunately I can't share the data for you to look at it. I can only think it's something to do with the way they are formatted. I've tried cutting and pasting values. I've tried turning them into numbers (tab A is happy with that, tab B is not). I was struggling enough to think of a way to link these two things in the first place, but if this doesn't work, then I think I'm really stuck, and can't think of a better way than trawling through 700 entries in two different databases!

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Usually it means that there are leading or trailing spaces, or non-displaying characters (either in the lookup value or the lookup range) that are preventing a match.

Upvote 0
Thank you - I looked at that, and couldn't visually see anything. Cell=Cell resulted in TRUE so I don't think it was that.

I reformatted both columns using LEFT to get the text out, and then cut and pasted values from both of those, and then it worked using XLOOKUP. I still don't know why, but at least it worked!!

Upvote 0
Rachel, this may take a few minutes. But in the "pdf copied sheet" I'd format all the problem (or all) columns to "General". then use the TextToColumns data tool for each column.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back