Vlookup - Partial Match

Jplace

Im trying to find a way to lookup the "part" to the "list" although there is only a partial match and cannot find a way to do this.

PartPartial MatchList
ABCATASDCAT
BDOGDDOG
ASCXCOWCOW
MOUSEAQMOUSE

<colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

If someone could offer a solution that would be greatly appriciated

thanks

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
try flipping the columns and using the below..not sure if it helps what you're trying to do because what you're looking for is on the same row of the part.

=VLOOKUP(LEFT(C2,SEARCH(C2,A2)),$C$2:$D$5,2)

Upvote 0
@Jplace, this can definitely be done; but it's not clear whether you are trying to locate partials within wholes, or use the wholes to find the partials. And the approach would differ depending on which. It's also not clear what kind of result you want or where you want that result to be placed (i.e., where the formulas would go).

What would your ideal results look like? Please provide actual Column letters and Row numbers.

Upvote 0
A

1 Part
B

Partial Match
C

List
2 ABCATASDCATCAT
3 BDOGDDOGDOG
4 ASCXCOWCOWCOW
5 MOUSEAQMOUSEMOUSE

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hi @ErikTyler

Sorry i was in a rush when i made the above post. I'm looking to match the whole against the partial, I've tried using a vlookup with "*" but I can only see this working to match the partial against the whole and not the other way around. The result I'm looking for is in column "B" which would be returning the partial match against the whole.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
@Jplace, I would suggest putting your match list (what is shown above in Column C) in Column A of its own tab (perhaps called "Legend"). The following formula assumes you will have done this and that your "Legend" tab list has a header (i.e., that the complete list begins in A2).

I don't know how many rows that legend might contain. I've included through A100 in my formula, but you can adjust according to the length of your actual list.

Lastly, this is an array formula, so it will need to be entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter (not just Enter). You'll see curly brackets {} around the formula if you've done it correctly. Any time you might need to edit the formula, you'll need to be sure to confirm changes with Ctrl+Shift+Enter as well.

The formula would be placed in your main sheet in B2, then copy-dragged down as far as you need it to go:

Code:
=INDEX(Legend!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Legend!$A$2:$A$100,A2)),0))

Upvote 0
would you have cattle, instead of cow ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back