Vlookup problem => value not found

danteske

G'morning all

Long time since I've had to ask a question. Glad to see you're all still here! ;) BTW, I searched forums for an answer, but wasn't successful.

Background: I'm using vlookup in a pretty simple way, nothing fancy. Thing is, the lookup value is the problem. The lookup value was (probably) imported data from some kinda mainframe, which was (most likely) converted from .csv into excel, then emailed to me in excel.

When I plug in a vlookup, I get #N/A. When I double click the lookup value, then somehow the cell becomes "active" and the vlookup works.

Is there any way to make active a column or selection without having to individually double click the cells?

Dan

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Try Data|Text to Columns and click Finish. You may need to format the cells as General afterwards so that the numbers are right aligned.

Upvote 0
this is a very common problem. Probably numbers stored as text...

try typing a 1 anywhere on your sheet.
copy it

highlight the offending column, paste special - values - multiply

Upvote 0
it seems that your values are stored as text even though they may look like they are not, when you double click the cell it converts it to a number, try typing a zero 0, in a blank cell and copy it, now highlight all your data where the Vlookup is checking, now select EDIT >> PASTE SPECIAL, under where it says OPERATION select ADD, now click ok, this will effectivley ADD ZERO to all your values forcing them to change into numbers

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back