vlookup problem

lpking2005

Board Regular
I have a problem,

I am trying to use VLOOKUP on cell (Q22), to lookup a number from another cell on the same sheet (M21) which then looks up that number on another workbook.

the problem is cell (M21) already has a VLOOKUP formula in it, I have identified that when it looks at this cell, it trys to run the included formula first.

I hope this makes sense, because its confusing the hell out of me.:confused:

many thanks!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
You're right, the Vlookup in cell Q22 will refer to the result of the vlookup in M21 (if it refers to M21).

What exactly do you need help with ?
It might also help to explain a little more about what exactly are you trying to do ?

Upvote 0
I have a problem,

I am trying to use VLOOKUP on cell (Q22), to lookup a number from another cell on the same sheet (M21) which then looks up that number on another workbook.

the problem is cell (M21) already has a VLOOKUP formula in it, I have identified that when it looks at this cell, it trys to run the included formula first.

I hope this makes sense, because its confusing the hell out of me.:confused:

many thanks!

these formulas should look up independently if the Vlookup(Q22,Some_Range,ColNo,2) is a seperate formula from the one in M21. As long as the M21 formula is providing an answer for the one in Q22 to be able to reference then there's no reason it shouldn't work, are you keeping them seperate or trying to incorporate both into one formula?

Upvote 0
okay,

(Q22) is empty and (M21) has some product number which is being pulled from another workbook.
I want to have (Q22) use the number which is in (M21) and use it to search for the same number which is located in a range of cells (D5:F16) on another workbook and provide a number which is in the same row as the number.

I know what i want, but its confusing explaining it.

thanks for replies

Upvote 0
Well that should be straightforward.

In Q22...
Code:
=vlookup(M21,D5:F16,2,false)

You'll need to insert the references to the other workbook.

I'm assuming that the number that's in M21 will be in D5:D16 (i.e. NOT cols E or F), and the number that you want to return is in Col F.
If it's in Col E, replace ",2," with ",1,"

Upvote 0
thats what i have already done, except (M21) has already got a formula in it.

in (Q22) i have: =VLOOKUP($M$23,'[Mouldings Product_Labour Matrix.xls]405'!$D$5:$F$16,3,FALSE)

in (M21) i have: =VLOOKUP($J$21,'[MOULDINGS_Current_month_schedule.xls]403'!$E$8:$H$100,2,FALSE)

hope this helps!

Upvote 0
thats what i have already done, except (M21) has already got a formula in it.

in (Q22) i have: =VLOOKUP($M$23,'[Mouldings Product_Labour Matrix.xls]405'!$D$5:$F$16,3,FALSE)

in (M21) i have: =VLOOKUP($J$21,'[MOULDINGS_Current_month_schedule.xls]403'!$E$8:$H$100,2,FALSE)

hope this helps!

Have I highlighted the problem ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back