VLOOKUP returning value from row above - have tried several solutions...

Niltiac88

Hi all, hope someone can help me - it's quite urgent and i'd really appreciate some help.

I am using a VLOOKUP and MATCH formula for a survey:
=VLOOKUP((MATCH(100,'2. Upwelling-downwelling'!H26:H38, 0)),'2. Upwelling-downwelling'!C26:K38, 3, FALSE)

It is designed to look in the worksheet (named 2. Upwelling-downwelling), find which item from a list has been given a score of 100, and copy the name of the item into a summary worksheet.
The table it is looking in in '2. Upwelling-downwelling' is laid out as below:

ItemScore
1MarineItem 1Page ref20
2MarineItem 2Page ref100
3MarineItem 3Page ref40

<tbody>
</tbody>

When respondents put 100 in the score column, the formula should return the name of the relevant item from the Item column in a separate Summary worksheet (i.e. in the above example 'Item 2' should be copied into the Summary worksheet).

However, at the moment, it is returning the value in the row above - Item 1.

This is only happening in one out of 22 worksheets which are all using the same formula. All the others are functioning perfectly as far as I can tell. An example of how the formula is written for a different (functioning) worksheet is:
=VLOOKUP((MATCH(100,'6. Biomass - production'!H26:H31, 0)),'6. Biomass - production'!C26:K31, 3, FALSE)

I can't see any difference...

Any suggestions much appreciated. I have already checked that the formula says 'false' or '0' and checked for unwanted spaces in the text, I have also tried changing the cell format to number. No luck.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can figure this out promptly - it will save much hassle if I can find a solution before all the survey respondents return the survey and I have to get them to do some of it again.

Many thanks, Caitlin (niltiac88)

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
I think you're 'overthinking' your task..

Try

=INDEX('2. Upwelling-downwelling'!E26:E38,MATCH(100,'2. Upwelling-downwelling'!H26:H38,0))

Upvote 0
That seems to work! Thanks very much. I'll test it out and post again if any issues, but seems to be a solution...
Very weird that it was only playing up for that one worksheet though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TS_711

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back