VLOOKUP that returns a Formula instead of value

Wiseforg

Hi there,

I am trying to do a VLOOKUP in my Table that will return a formula instead of the value. Or I am very open to any other recommendation that could resolve my problem.

Here is what I have. Consider that I am using Tables as my actual tables are much bigger than what I have here and lines will be added to it monthly.

I have my Table1 which has all of the user information and Criteria that are given to me.
My Table2 contains the Formal that should be used depending on the Role and Complexity the user needs to be evaluated on.

I managed to create a UID_Formula column in my Table1 hoping it would simplify my lookup but still nothing.

First Table is like this:

HTML:
[RANGE=cls:xl2bb-100][XR][XH=cs:9]Excel 2007[/XH][/XR][XR][XH][/XH][XH]A[/XH][XH]B[/XH][XH]C[/XH][XH]D[/XH][XH]E[/XH][XH]F[/XH][XH]G[/XH][XH]H[/XH][/XR][XR][XH]1[/XH][XD=h:l]User[/XD][XD=h:l]Criteria1[/XD][XD=h:l]Criteria2[/XD][XD=h:l]Criteria3[/XD][XD=h:l]Complexity[/XD][XD=h:l]Role[/XD][XD=h:l]UID_Formula[/XD][XD=h:l]Formula[/XD][/XR][XR][XH]2[/XH][XD=h:l]Joe[/XD][XD=h:l]yes[/XD][XD=h:l]yes[/XD][XD=h:l]no[/XD][XD=h:l]High[/XD][XD=h:l]Manager[/XD][XD=h:r]1[/XD][XD=h:r]#VALUE![/XD][/XR][XR][XH]3[/XH][XD=h:l]Jack[/XD][XD=h:l]no[/XD][XD=h:l]yes[/XD][XD=h:l]yes[/XD][XD=h:l]Low[/XD][XD=h:l]User[/XD][XD=h:r]4[/XD][XD=h:r]#VALUE![/XD][/XR][XR][XH]4[/XH][XD=h:l]Tim[/XD][XD=h:l]yes[/XD][XD=h:l]yes[/XD][XD=h:l]yes[/XD][XD=h:l]Low[/XD][XD=h:l]Manager[/XD][XD=h:r]2[/XD][XD=h:r]#VALUE![/XD][/XR][XR][XH]5[/XH][XD=h:l]Bob[/XD][XD=h:l]no[/XD][XD=h:l]no[/XD][XD=h:l]no[/XD][XD=h:l]High[/XD][XD=h:l]User[/XD][XD=h:r]3[/XD][XD=h:r]#VALUE![/XD][/XR][XR][XH]6[/XH][XD=h:l]Nick[/XD][XD=h:l]yes[/XD][XD=h:l]no[/XD][XD=h:l]yes[/XD][XD=h:l]Low[/XD][XD=h:l]User[/XD][XD=h:r]4[/XD][XD=h:r]#VALUE![/XD][/XR][XR][XH]7[/XH][XD=h:l]Helen[/XD][XD=h:l]no[/XD][XD=h:l]yes[/XD][XD=h:l]no[/XD][XD=h:l]High[/XD][XD=h:l]Manager[/XD][XD=h:r]1[/XD][XD=h:r]#VALUE![/XD][/XR][XR][XH=cs:9][RANGE][XR][XD]Sheet1[/XD][XH][/XH][/XR][/RANGE][/XH][/XR][/RANGE]

Formula for UID column: {=INDEX(Table2[UID],MATCH(Table1[[#This Row],[Role]],IF(Table2[Complexity]=Table1[[#This Row],[Complexity]],Table2[Role]),0))}

Formula for Formula column: =VLOOKUP(Table1[[#This Row],[UID_Formula]],Table2[[UID]:],2,FALSE) My Table2 has the referenced Formula [HTML] [RANGE=cls:xl2bb-100][XR][XH=cs:5]Excel 2007[/XH][/XR][XR][XH][/XH][XH]B[/XH][XH]C[/XH][XH]D[/XH][XH]E[/XH][/XR][XR][XH]10[/XH][XD=h:l]Role[/XD][XD=h:l]Complexity[/XD][XD=h:l]UID[/XD][XD=h:l]Formula[/XD][/XR][XR][XH]11[/XH][XD=h:l]Manager[/XD][XD=h:l]High[/XD][XD=h:r]1[/XD][XD=h:r|cls:fx][FORMULA==SUMPRODUCT((Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria1]]<>"yes")+(Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria3]]<>"yes")+(Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria2]]<>"yes"))/3]#VALUE![/XD][/XR][XR][XH]12[/XH][XD=h:l]Manager[/XD][XD=h:l]Low[/XD][XD=h:r]2[/XD][XD=h:r|cls:fx]#VALUE![/XD][/XR][XR][XH]13[/XH][XD=h:l]User[/XD][XD=h:l]High[/XD][XD=h:r]3[/XD][XD=h:r|cls:fx]#VALUE![/XD][/XR][XR][XH]14[/XH][XD=h:l]User[/XD][XD=h:l]Low[/XD][XD=h:r]4[/XD][XD=h:r|cls:fx]#VALUE![/XD][/XR][XR][XH=cs:5]
#VALUE!
[/XH][/XR][/RANGE]
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E11=SUMPRODUCT((Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria1]]<>"yes")+(Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria3]]<>"yes")+(Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria2]]<>"yes"))/3
E12=SUMPRODUCT((Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria1]]<>"yes")+(Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria3]]<>"yes"))/2
E13=SUMPRODUCT((Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria3]]<>"yes")+(Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria2]]<>"yes"))/2
E14=SUMPRODUCT((Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria1]]<>"yes")+(Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria2]]<>"yes"))/2
[/HTML]

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
I would suggest not putting your tables between HTML tags :biggrin:

Excel 2007
ABCDEFGH
1UserCriteria1Criteria2Criteria3ComplexityRoleUID_FormulaFormula
2JoeyesyesnoHighManager1#VALUE!
3JacknoyesyesLowUser4#VALUE!
4TimyesyesyesLowManager2#VALUE!
5BobnononoHighUser3#VALUE!
6NickyesnoyesLowUser4#VALUE!
7HelennoyesnoHighManager1#VALUE!
Sheet1

Excel 2007
BCDE
10RoleComplexityUIDFormula
11ManagerHigh1#VALUE!
12ManagerLow2#VALUE!
13UserHigh3#VALUE!
14UserLow4#VALUE!
Sheet1
<table width="85%" cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";border: 2px solid black;border-collapse:collapse;padding: 0.4em;background-color: #FFFFFF" ><tr><td style="padding:6px" ><b>Worksheet Formulas</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" width="100%" rules="all" style="border: 1px solid;text-align:center;background-color: #FFFFFF;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #A6AAB6"><thead><tr style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120"><th width="10px">Cell</th><th style="text-align:left;padding-left:5px;">Formula</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120">E11</th><td style="text-align:left">=SUMPRODUCT(<font color="Blue">(<font color="Red">Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria1]]<>"yes"</font>)+(<font color="Red">Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria3]]<>"yes"</font>)+(<font color="Red">Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria2]]<>"yes"</font>)</font>)/3</td></tr><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120">E12</th><td style="text-align:left">=SUMPRODUCT(<font color="Blue">(<font color="Red">Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria1]]<>"yes"</font>)+(<font color="Red">Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria3]]<>"yes"</font>)</font>)/2</td></tr><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120">E13</th><td style="text-align:left">=SUMPRODUCT(<font color="Blue">(<font color="Red">Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria3]]<>"yes"</font>)+(<font color="Red">Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria2]]<>"yes"</font>)</font>)/2</td></tr><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #E0E0F0;color: #161120">E14</th><td style="text-align:left">=SUMPRODUCT(<font color="Blue">(<font color="Red">Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria1]]<>"yes"</font>)+(<font color="Red">Table1[[#This Row],[Criteria2]]<>"yes"</font>)</font>)/2</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></table>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back