WS1 Columns:
A: customer code X (text values)
B: my vlookup formula

WS2 Columns:
A: customer code Y (number value)
B: customer code X (text value)

I am using the following VLOOKUP formula in WS1 cell B2:

=VLOOKUP(A2,WS2!A:B,1,0)

I'm having all 170,000 rows returning values of #N/A even though there are plenty that should not be #N/A.

Do the text/number values have some bearing on this perhaps?

cheers,
-reducedjuice

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all yoru responses and suggestions (and sorry for temporarily disappearing after my post). Looks like there's a few interested parties to see what works. Here are a few comments based on the responses in the string:

@gecs and @lenze: I was trying to match customer code X and return the corresponding value for customer code Y. Therefore, I do not believe it was a matter of me switching those values around in the formula as you had suggested.

@Aladin Akyurek: yes, WS2!A:B is sorted in column B in ascending order

@VoG: your formula has worked and provided me with the solution I was seeking.

I thank you all for taking the time and for your collaborative approach.

-reducedjuice

A faster alternative...

=IF(LOOKUP(A2,WS2!B:B)=A2,LOOKUP(A2,WS!B:B,WS!A:A),"NA")

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Alternate Solution – if you’re feeling adventurous, you can do the type conversion in-formula by coercing the data types. If the cells that go into the first VLookup argument are the ones that are text and the keys that are in the range that are in the second argument are General then something like:
· =VLOOKUP(IF(ISERR(Key2+0),Key2,Key2+0),Sheet1!Data,2,FALSE)
will coerce the first arg to general whenever the data is numeric in nature. If it’s the data that’s in the key field of the 2nd argument’s range that is Text format and your first argument’s cell is General format then concatenating an empty string:
· =VLOOKUP(Key2&””,Sheet1!Data,2,FALSE)
will coerce the numbers in the first arg to all text.

I found this article too but I was confused on how to use it. I found your post online trying to understand it. If you understand this article, I was wondering if you could help me.

There is a master excel file on my company's server and I use VLOOKUP to automatically update my personal workbook using that information. The problem is the cells with the part numbers on the master workbook are formatted as text, number, or general (even though they are all numbers). Because of that, my VLOOKUP doesn't always work.

I'm pretty sure this "Alternative Solution" is just what I need, but I can't get it right. I don't see where they put the first argument that VLOOKUP uses to base its search. I'm probably missing other things too, but I don't know what. Help?

Thanks,
KHolmes

Upvote 0
I found this article too but I was confused on how to use it. I found your post online trying to understand it. If you understand this article, I was wondering if you could help me.

There is a master excel file on my company's server and I use VLOOKUP to automatically update my personal workbook using that information. The problem is the cells with the part numbers on the master workbook are formatted as text, number, or general (even though they are all numbers). Because of that, my VLOOKUP doesn't always work.

I'm pretty sure this "Alternative Solution" is just what I need, but I can't get it right. I don't see where they put the first argument that VLOOKUP uses to base its search. I'm probably missing other things too, but I don't know what. Help?

Thanks,
KHolmes

Care to post the VLOOKUP formula that you have?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back