VLookup #VALUE! & Search For Data.

fintail99

Hi there,

In relation to staff timesheet data, I have a spreadsheet within which I have Sheet1 & Sheet2. In Sheet1, I manually enter employee data such as Employee ID, First Name, Surname, Contracted Hours, for it to be picked-up in Sheet2.

In Sheet2, I enter an Employee ID (listed in Sheet1) for a VLOOKUP routine to then pick-up the First Name, Surname & Contracted Hours from Sheet1.

Example:
For First Name: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($F7,'Staff List'!$F:$I,2,0),"")
For Surname: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($F7,'Staff List'!$F:$I,3,0),"")
For Contracted Hours: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($F7,'Staff List'!$F:$I,4,0),"")

In Sheet2, I have a formula which multiplies the Contract Hours by 4.

Example:
=SUM (S7- (I7*4))

Problem 1
In Sheet2, if I do not enter an Employee ID, the Contracted Hours cell remains blank (this is as expected). However, when this is the case, the cell with the above SUM formula shows “#VALUE!”. Would it be possible for this cell to remain blank or display a zero until the Contracted Hours cell is populated?

Problem 2
In Sheet2, once I enter an Employee ID, the First Name & Surname cells are populated (this is as expected). However, I am unable to use Ctrl+F to search for a particular first name or surname as although the cells display a person’s name, the cell comprises a VLOOKUP routine.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Ketan

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Problem 1:
Check to see if your cell has a value first. Also note that your use of SUM is unnecessary. You aren't summing a range, your a doing some multiplication and subtraction.
So, assuming that column I is the column causing issues, the formula would look something like:
Code:
=IF(I7="","",S7-(I7*4))

Problem 2:
In Find/Search, click on "Options", and change the "Look in" option from "Formulas" to "Values".

Upvote 0
You are welcome!:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back