VLOOKUP vs INDEX?

sabine

Hello and sorry upfront, I'm sure this has been asked and answered lots of times but I can not make this work.

Here is what I need to do:
the info on Sheet1 has a bunch of names in Column V with info behind
On Sheet 2 I need to lookup each match in Column V and return all the info for each match to the column

Sheet1
VZAAAB
1TextInfoNote
2BrendanText 1Info 1Note 1
3AndyText 2Info 2Note 2
4BrendanText 3Info 3Note 3

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet2
ABCD
1Brendan
2TextLookup A1 & return: Text 1Lookup A1 & return: Text 3
3InfoLookup A1 & return: Info 1Lookup A1 & return: Info 3
4NoteLookup A1 & return: Note 1Lookup A1 & return: Note 3

<tbody>
</tbody>

Not sure if this makes sense (hope so :)) but can someone tell me how to do that?

Here is how I return the first row only =VLOOKUP($B$1,responses!$V:$AK,3,FALSE)

and here is what I have tried but it doesn't work and I can not figure out why not

=INDEX(responses!$V3:$AK100,SMALL(IF(responses!$V$3:V100=$B$1,ROW(responses!$V$3:$V$100)-1),COLUMNS($D2:D2)),2)

Thanks
Sabine

PS using Excel 7

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi

in A1= "Brendan"

first row data from column Z

=IFERROR(INDEX(Responses!$Z$3:$Z$100,SMALL(IF(Responses!$V$3:$V$100=$A$1,ROW($A$3:$A$100)-MIN(ROW($A$3:$A$100))+1),COLUMNS($A$1:A$1))),"")

<tbody>
</tbody>

Second row data from column AA (same array formulas)

=IFERROR(INDEX(Responses!$AA$3:$AA$100,SMALL(IF(Responses!$V$3:$V$100=$A$1,ROW($A$3:$A$100)-MIN(ROW($A$3:$A$100))+1),COLUMNS($A$1:A$1))),"")

Third row data from column AB

=IFERROR(INDEX(Responses!$AB$3:$AB$100,SMALL(IF(Responses!$V$2:$V$100=$A$1,ROW($A$3:$A$100)-MIN(ROW($A$3:$A$100))+1),COLUMNS($A$1:A$1))),"")

All formula must be confirmed with control+shift+enter before to be copied to the right to get the list of concurrencies.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

Try the following formula in B2 of Sheet2, committed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER before copying down and across:

Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(INDEX(Sheet1!$W$2:$Y$4,,MATCH($A2,Sheet1!$W$1:$Y$1,0)),SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$V$2:$V$4=$A$1,ROW(Sheet1!$V$2:$V$4)-ROW(Sheet1!$V$2)+1),COLUMNS($B2:B2))),"")

Matty

Upvote 0
Hi all,

another option very similar to Matty's one.

=IFERROR(INDEX(Responses!$Z$3:$AC$101,SMALL(IF(Responses!$V$3:$V$101=$A$1,ROW($A$2:$A$100)-MIN(ROW($A$2:$A$100))+1),COLUMNS($A$1:A$1)),ROWS($A$1:$A1)),"")

Using Excel 2010 you could avoid array formula

Cheers

Upvote 0
Hi all,

=IFERROR(INDEX(Responses!$Z$3:$AC$101,SMALL(IF(Responses!$V$3:$V$101=$A$1,ROW($A$2:$A$100)-MIN(ROW($A$2:$A$100))+1),COLUMNS($A$1:A$1)),ROWS($A$1:$A1)),"")

Using Excel 2010 you could avoid array formula

Cheers

Hello Canapone
What change in 2010 makes this work without array status?

Upvote 0
Hi,

thanks to AGGREGATE(15,6,.... where option 15 is SMALL, option 6 is "ignore error value"

=IFERROR(INDEX(RESPONSES!$Z$2:$AC$100,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($A$2:$A$100)-MIN(ROW($A$2:$A$100))+1/(RESPONSES!$V$2:$V$100=$A$1),COLUMNS($A$1:A$1)),ROWS($A$1:$A1)),"")

<tbody>
</tbody>

there is no need to confirm formula with control+shift+enter, but it's not a "green" formula, maybe still too polluting and inefficient.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Array formulae can be a bit daunting and heavy on processing, although its often possible to avoid repeated use of them when blocks of data are being returned, as Aladin describes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back