Vlookup Work Around

spyldbrat

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
I am using a vlookup, The problem is that some of data in my look up column is not unique and it's only returning the first row of data on both rows where I have my lookup. I understand that this is how vlookups work, but is there any way for it to show the second row of data if the first row has already been selected? Unfortunately, I can not make my lookup column any more "unique" than what is already there.

1602017419491.png

1602017583960.png

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hi Spyldbrat,

You can use the SMALL function of AGGREGATE.

SPYldbrat.xlsx
ABCD
1SOURCE
2Vlookup FieldShippingContract No.Etc.
37762-37878R123Line1
47762-37878R456Line2
SOURCE

SPYldbrat.xlsx
ABCD
1RESULT
2Lookup ColumnShippingContract No.Etc.
37762-37878R123Line1
47762-37878R456Line2
RESULT
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B3:D5B3=IF(A3="","",INDEX(SOURCE!B$3:B$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(SOURCE!$A$3:$A$9999)-ROW(SOURCE!$A$2)/(SOURCE!$A$3:$A$9999=$A3),COUNTIF($A$2:$A3,$A3))))

Upvote 0
When I try to type this formula it opens a window that wants me to update the values in my source data (it's a pivot). When I select the file, it changes the name of my source tab within the formula to the name of the actual file I select.

Upvote 0
When I try to type this formula it opens a window that wants me to update the values in my source data (it's a pivot). When I select the file, it changes the name of my source tab within the formula to the name of the actual file I select.
I'm not sure of the effect of your pivot but make sure the data is on a tab named SOURCE and the formulae in RESULT

Upvote 0
I tried to edit my previous message but I took too long. This is what I wanted to edit it with:
When I try to type this formula it opens a window that wants me to update the values in my source data (it's a pivot). If I move the formula on the spreadsheet, it keeps wanting to update the values? Is this normal? Also, after I updated the pivot values, it returned the result of "(blank) (blank) (blank)". I am thinking that perhaps I may have some of the row #'s wrong. Would you mind showing me the formula from the first row of the data - which in in row 7. Row 6 is a header. Also, just to confirm - I should be replacing word "SOURCE" with the tab name that contains my source data?

Upvote 0
I tried to edit my previous message but I took too long. This is what I wanted to edit it with:
When I try to type this formula it opens a window that wants me to update the values in my source data (it's a pivot). If I move the formula on the spreadsheet, it keeps wanting to update the values? Is this normal? Also, after I updated the pivot values, it returned the result of "(blank) (blank) (blank)". I am thinking that perhaps I may have some of the row #'s wrong. Would you mind showing me the formula from the first row of the data - which in in row 7. Row 6 is a header. Also, just to confirm - I should be replacing word "SOURCE" with the tab name that contains my source data?

Your images showed two sheets which I have assumed were in the same workbook. For my example you should have the data in a sheet called SOURCE and the formulae in a sheet called RESULT, as shown on the XL2BB output.

Upvote 0
Without seeing the workbook I can't offer any further suggestions.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I don't have permissions so I can't download the XL2B need to upload the file.

Upvote 0
Hi..after a lot attempts, I finally got your formula to work :). Is there a way that if the data does not exist in on my source tab (P Pivot), that I can have it look for the information on a second tab (R Pivot)? This is what I came up with but it's not working:

=IF(ISNA(A8="","",INDEX('P Pivot'!C$2:C$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW('P Pivot'!$C$2:$C$9999)-ROW('P Pivot'!$C$1)/('P Pivot'!$C$2:$C$9999=$C8),COUNTIF($B$1:$B8,$B8),(A8="","",INDEX('R Pivot'!C$2:C$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW('R Pivot'!$C$2:$C$9999)-ROW('R Pivot'!$C$1)/(R Pivot'!$C$2:$C$9999=$C8),COUNTIF($B$1:$B8,$B8))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back