VLOOKUP x 2

Lisa928

Board Regular
I have a reference data that includes three columns: criteria 1, criteria 2, and outcome. For example: month, date, and name.

On another spreadsheet I need to match one cell to the month, then another to the date, and when both match then pull the name.

Is there such thing as a nested VLOOKUP?

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
you can do this a couple of ways - you could do it in VB or (and this may easier) you can create a column that merges Criteria 1 & Criteria 2 on your main sheet... (this would need to be in Col A - or at least before the result (C))

Then

=VLOOKUP(A1&B1,DATA,4,FALSE)

where A1 & B1 are on the sheet you're doing the lookup from, DATA is the main sheet columns A:D.

Upvote 0
On 2002-10-10 09:13, Lisa928 wrote:
I have a reference data that includes three columns: criteria 1, criteria 2, and outcome. For example: month, date, and name.

On another spreadsheet I need to match one cell to the month, then another to the date, and when both match then pull the name.

Let A2:C40 in Sheet1 house the data of interest.

Let A2 and B2 in Sheet2 house the criteria you want to use. By the way, you state that you want to use a month value and a date value as conditions. That's a bit strange.

In C2 in Sheet2 array-enter:

=INDEX(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$40,MATCH(1,(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$40=E1)*(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$40=E2),0))

To array-enter a formula, you need to hit control+shift+enter at the same time, not just enter.

For other multikey lookup options see...

http://mrexcel.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=16933&forum=2

Upvote 0
I read this a little different. Let say A2 is a month (january) and b2 is a date (15). If you want to look to a table that has months running accross the top and dates running down the left (say a range Sheet2!$A$1:$M$32) you could simply use

=INDEX(Sheet2!$A$1:$M$32,MATCH(B2,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$32,0),MATCH(A2,Sheet2!$A$1:$M$1,0))

in cell C2. This is a normal formula and doesn't need to be array entered. If a match isn't found, N/A will be returned.

good luck

On 2002-10-10 09:13, Lisa928 wrote:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back