=+Vlookup

the hotspur amigo

using the below formula as e example can depend on what appears in that cell depending on what is in B3 but when B3 is empty it shows as "#N/A". is it possible to make that blank or will I just have to put up with it showing #N/A till they put something in cell B3?

=+VLOOKUP(B3,Answers!A75:B76,2,FALSE)

yeah it is. I was playing around and found that whilst i awaited a reply and wondered if that is what you meant.

really wish i could get this sorted as make my questionaire a lot more userfriendly.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Post your formula exactly as it is in your cell.

What answer is your formula showing on Yes/No?

Upvote 0
=+VLOOKUP(B8,Answers!A75:B76,2,FALSE)

To sum it up:

the formula is in cell C8

B8 is where the user will put in the answer to the question. the answer will be a yes or no as validated so only input the user can put in.

As i know the posssible answers to be Yes or No i have used the +VLOOKUP to show some text after the answer they have given. but before they put in yes or no it shows N/A. obviously when they put in yes or no my text i have predecided appears but if there is no answet yet it is showing that horrible N/A which i need to get rid off.

Upvote 0
the hotspur amigo said:
=+VLOOKUP(B8,Answers!A75:B76,2,FALSE)

To sum it up:

the formula is in cell C8

B8 is where the user will put in the answer to the question. the answer will be a yes or no as validated so only input the user can put in.

As i know the posssible answers to be Yes or No i have used the +VLOOKUP to show some text after the answer they have given. but before they put in yes or no it shows N/A. obviously when they put in yes or no my text i have predecided appears but if there is no answet yet it is showing that horrible N/A which i need to get rid off.

Are cells A75 and A76 on sheet Answers exactly equal to what you enter in B8?

If you've just got Yes/No you really don't need VLOOKUP... unless this is homework?

Upvote 0
Are cells A75 and A76 on sheet Answers exactly equal to what you enter in B8?

If you've just got Yes/No you really don't need VLOOKUP... unless this is homework?

correct. the answers are on a sperate sheet called answers.

its for work. its going to be sent out to people and the text i have got to appear once they have entered the Yes/No is instructions as what to do next depending on thier answer e.g go to next question, contact ***** in human resources, etc.

Upvote 0
I think they look like matches but are not.

Try this.

Enter Yes in your drop-down.

In an unused cell, enter: =B8=Answers!A75

assuming A75 holds Yes; if not, enter: =B8=Answers!A76

Bet you it returns FALSE.

Upvote 0
yeah the answer is yes in Answers!A75 and in answers!b75 it has the instructions I have (in this case go to next question) which i want to appear

so with that formula it did show TRUE but i need something to show the text in the cell next to A75 which is why i used +VLOOKUP.

Upvote 0
I just noticed you started off referencing B3 but now have B8 in your VLOOKUP - is that a typo?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back