Vlookup

oddworld

hi all what i am trying to achieve is a summary page populated by t2 tables. ie i have a unique field in column a, i then need vlookup or macro to look at the uniquie value in column a and search in table "cfts" or table"ue" and populate data from the applicable table. The unique value will only exist in 1 of the tables or not at all.
I can't seen to get vlookup to lookup more than 1 table? do i need a macro for this type of search

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
hi all what i am trying to achieve is a summary page populated by t2 tables. ie i have a unique field in column a, i then need vlookup or macro to look at the uniquie value in column a and search in table "cfts" or table"ue" and populate data from the applicable table. The unique value will only exist in 1 of the tables or not at all.
I can't seen to get vlookup to lookup more than 1 table? do i need a macro for this type of search

What kind of data, numeric or text, are you fetching?

Upvote 0
I'll leave to the master that is Aladin, however, all I would say is you could think about using a MATCH with ERROR to utilise a variable range name in your VLOOKUP or whatever...

=VLOOKUP(criteria,IF(ISERROR(MATCH(criteria,firstrangename,0)),secondrangename,firstrangename),column,FALSE)

assumes ranges are identical in terms of column positions for return values etc...

Upvote 0
the unique id is a number, and i am using a "=VLOOKUP(A1,ue,2,0)" to extract name and a few other details. The problem is how do i make the statement once it has checked the range "ue" and not found a match, i would like it to search the range "cfts". Second prob would be i would need to know which range was the data found in.

Upvote 0
the unique id is a number, and i am using a "=VLOOKUP(A1,ue,2,0)" to extract name and a few other details. The problem is how do i make the statement once it has checked the range "ue" and not found a match, i would like it to search the range "cfts". Second prob would be i would need to know which range was the data found in.

If a numeric outcome is expected...
Code:
=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,
    CHOOSE({1,2,3},
      VLOOKUP(A1,cfts,2,0),
      VLOOKUP(A1,ue,2,0)))

If a text outcome is expected...

Code:
=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),
    CHOOSE({1,2,3},
      "",
      VLOOKUP(A1,cfts,2,0),
      VLOOKUP(A1,ue,2,0)))

What are the ranges ue and cfts currently refer to?

Upvote 0
Aladin, could you explain or point me in right direction as to how your formulae work ?

I've read through the Help etc but can't quite fathom the mechanics of what it does...

I don't often see things here I don't understand but the above has me flummoxed!

I can see that it's trying to find the largest answer but is this in array formula ? ie how is it generating the 3 answers - 0, range1, range2 etc ?

Not to worry - worked it out... NICE!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back