vlookup

danielroberts560

I have a list of names and amounts on one spreadsheet and a list the same names on another. all I want to do is a vlookup to get the values from one spreadsheet on to the other next to the correct name. Now i know all the names are on both spreadsheets but it just doesn't work. If I copy the name from the vlookup sheet on to the other it finds it. Is it possible that the format of the cells are different and thats why it wont pick it up

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
=VLOOKUP(A26,'2009'!A2:B25,2,FALSE)

Does your formula include a the name of the other worksheet? In this instance the sheet name is 2009.

Upvote 0
Are you working with two worksheets in the same workbook, or are you working with two separate workbooks?

Upvote 0
OK, so it must be something within the values.

Take one of the values that you believe to be the same in both lists. Test if they are equal by using

=EXACT(A1,B1)

where A1 and B1 refer to the cells containing the values. I'm expecting it to return FALSE. Then we can start to figure out how they are different.

BTW, when you say "it didn't work"...what do you mean? Do you get an error or do you get an unexpected value returned? What is the exact formula you are using?

Upvote 0
OK - but WHICH error message?

Try performing the same test but using:

=EXACT(TRIM(A1),TRIM(B1))

If that returns TRUE then one of your values has a space in it somewhere.

If it returns FALSE, try

=EXACT(CLEAN(A1),CLEAN(B1))

If that returns TRUE then you have some non-space non-printable characters in your text.

Whichever is the outcome, you then have the decision to "clean" your data, or to add either TRIM or CLEAN into your VLOOKUP function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back