Vlookup

Andy Pilkington

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two arrays, one with source data and the other the destination.

The source data has dates in the first column in ascending order [but not consecutive] and values in the second column.

The destination has consecutive dates in the first column and I want to show in the second column only values against the dates that appear in the source array. Vlookup function does this but it drops in values against all dates between the non-consecutive dates from the source array.

Also, my source array sometimes has two consecutive dates the same in which case the Vlookup function picks up the last of the two values only.

Is there a formula that can eliminate these glitches?

Thank you in anticipation.
ANDY PILKINGTON

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Not sure what you mean by:
but it drops in values against all dates between the non-consecutive dates

Do you mean they return NA? Are you perhaps looking to enable approximation(the last parameter of the vlookup function?)

As to the second problem, do you want to return the value of both cells that matched, or always the first as opposed to the last?

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by:

Do you mean they return NA? Are you perhaps looking to enable approximation(the last parameter of the vlookup function?)

As to the second problem, do you want to return the value of both cells that matched, or always the first as opposed to the last?

#1 - My "Source" may look like this ...

Col A Col B
1 January 2014 100.00
10 January 014 200.00
15 January 2014 250.00

My destination will have all dates from 1-5 January 2014 lied. The Vlookup function returns 100.00 against all dates from 1-9 January and 200.00 from 10-14 January whereas I only want values showing against the matching date only.

#2 - My "Source" may look like this ...

Col A Col B
1 January 2014 100.00
1 January 2014 150.00

My destination will only pick up one value because my destination is a consecutive list with no duplications and it picks up the second value [150.00].

I hope this explains better?

Thanks.
ANDY

Upvote 0
So for your first issue turn enable approximation off and then use a conditional to hide errors:
=iferror(vlookup(value,LookupRange,False),"")

For the second issue. My understanding is you want to return all values. That can't be addressed with a vlookup.

The only thing that comes to mind is to make an array formula. But I'm unsure how you'd get an array formula to display its contents in one cell(without vba). To my knowledge, you would need a cell for each "extra result".
Or you would need a vba formula to concatinate the result array.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok yea if you want to sum them then SumIf will work. I thought you wanted to return the values seperately. Glad you figured everything out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back