Vlookup

RJB78

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
I'm looking to use a vlookup in 'tab1' to find a value in 'tab2', if it cant find it in 'tab2', then look for it in 'tab3', if it cant find it in either, "N/A"

In tab1, I have a name in cell A1. In column C I want to use the vlookup to lookup the name from A1 from a list containing the names in Tab2, if it doesn't find a value in tab2, I would like to look for the vale in tab3

Thank you in advance

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi RJB78 -

What formulas have you tried so far?

Is there something you want the formula to look-up if it finds the value in tab2 or tab3? Or just tell you if that value in tab1 has an identical value in tab2 and tab3?

Upvote 0
RJB78, Good evening.

Try to use:

Tab1 --> C1 -->

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A1, Tab2!A1:B10, 2, FALSE), IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A1, Tab3!A1:B10, 2, FALSE), "N/A"))

Adapt cell references to your reality.

Is that what you want?
I hope it helps.

Upvote 0
Thank you Marcilio_Lobao

When I use that formula and adapt the cell references I get the #NA where I am supposed to, but #value when I should get a value from tab2 and tab1

Upvote 0
I'm looking to use a vlookup in 'tab1' to find a value in 'tab2', if it cant find it in 'tab2', then look for it in 'tab3', if it cant find it in either, "N/A"

In tab1, I have a name in cell A1. In column C I want to use the vlookup to lookup the name from A1 from a list containing the names in Tab2, if it doesn't find a value in tab2, I would like to look for the vale in tab3

Thank you in advance

What are the range of interest in tab2 and that of tab2?

Upvote 0
=OR(IFNA(VLOOKUP(A5,'Cur. Pos.'!A:J,10,FALSE),(VLOOKUP(A5,'Other Data'!A:C,3,FALSE))))

This is the formula I have. 'Cur. Pos.' would be tab2. 'Other Data' is tab3. The formula is looking up off of a value in tab1.

Basically I need a formula to look at the unique identifier in tab1. Then find it in tab2, and display the value in column J. If it cant find the unique identifier in tab2, I want it to look in tab3 and display the value in column C. If it cant find it in either, display 'N/A'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=OR(IFNA(VLOOKUP(A5,'Cur. Pos.'!A:J,10,FALSE),(VLOOKUP(A5,'Other Data'!A:C,3,FALSE))))

This is the formula I have. 'Cur. Pos.' would be tab2. 'Other Data' is tab3. The formula is looking up off of a value in tab1.

Basically I need a formula to look at the unique identifier in tab1. Then find it in tab2, and display the value in column J. If it cant find the unique identifier in tab2, I want it to look in tab3 and display the value in column C. If it cant find it in either, display 'N/A'

Is this wat you are after?

=IFNA(VLOOKUP(A15,'Cur. Pos.'!A:J,10,0),VLOOKUP(A5,'Other Data'!A:C,3,0),"")

Upvote 0
Yes. the way you have it gives me an error saying ive entered to many arguments for the function. But when I take out the ,"". It works and displays #N/A when there is no value in tab2 or tab3. How can I get the #NA to be "N/A" so I can use conditional formatting to use white font color so it doesn't show the "N/A"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I figured it out. I added IFERROR( before the IFNA(.

Thank you for your help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back