Wait for Cube Values to return data before continuing macro

DamageZ

Hi All,

I've been trying to find a way to have my macro wait until after my data has refreshed to continue. I'm using Excel 2010.

I have combined our Sales Cube & Stock Cube into a PivotTable and then converted the PT into formulas. I need to do this so that I can minimize the amount of data shown and be very specific with it.

I have a macro that adjusts the details of the values to be returned by this and then adds a vlookup to return data to another sheet. This is where my problems begin;

IDEA 1A : 'ActiveWorkbook.RefreshAll' will refresh the data, however doesn't wait for this action to be finalised before continuing. Which results in a debug on the vlookup line of code as the data is still in "#GETTING_DATA"

IDEA 1B : 'ActiveWorkbook.Connections("Stock Cube").Refresh' same result as above.

IDEA 2 : 'Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("0:00:10"))' also makes the refresh wait, and even if it didn't I couldn't be sure I was leaving enough time for a slower machine to retrieve data without going overboard and waiting for 90+ seconds

IDEA 3 : 'Sheets("Calc").PivotTables("PivotTable5").PivotCache.Refresh' wont work as it is no longer a pivot table, it's simply an array of CUBEVALUE & CUBEMEMBER formulas.

IDEA 4 : Adding a formula to determine if a CUBEVALUE has returned a number yet doesn't work either. Anytime the cell is showing "#GETTING_DATA", any formula pointing to it returns "#GETTING_DATA". Also, any line of code pointing to that cell returns the Type_Mismatch error.

I'm left with attempting to get my macro to inanely loop for a long period of time. I.E. A1 = A1 + 1, Loop Until 1,000,000. This still has the same problems as IDEA 2 does.

I haven't attached the spreadsheet as no one would have access to the cubes and thus no data would be displayed.

I've read a bunch of other forums and posts and I can't find anything that deals with this. I'm really hoping someone else has had a similar issue and found a resolution.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this!!

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
I'm glad after 2 years, a question I posted then answered myself has finally helped someone else. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back