Wanna learn VBA to use in Excel - Microsoft Course 2559B or 2373B?

ORoxo

Board Regular
Hey, Guys
I'm graduating in 1,5 years from an MSc Finance and I'm really looking forward to learn how to write code in VBA in order to be as productive as possible when I start working with excel on a daily basis.
I have been looking for courses where I can get this knowledge and, to be honest, it has not been easy. However, a company I approached suggested me the two courses below:

https://www.microsoft.com/pt-br/learning/course.aspx?cid=2559
https://www.microsoft.com/pt-br/learning/course.aspx?cid=2373

The thing is, I have no idea which one to choose or even if any of them make sense for the purpose I'm trying to reach.

I had a Basic VBA course last semester at uni but I just know the basics.
Considering this scenario, what's your advice?

Thanks for your time.
I really hope you can provide some insights because, to be honest, I feel completely lost.

Kind regards,
ORoxo

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Neither of those are for VBA, they're for VB.Net which is a completely different language and nothing to do with Excel

Upvote 0
Neither of those are for VBA, they're for VB.Net which is a completely different language and nothing to do with Excel

Kyle, first of all, thank you so much for your reply!

Is there any specific Microsoft Course that you would suggest for someone in my position? This way I could counter-argument with the company and ask for a specific product. If they provide these programs maybe they willing to provide others.

Thanks,
ORoxo

Upvote 0
Sorry, I really wouldn't know. I've never done any formal courses or qualifications in VBA

Upvote 0
I think you'd find that only a tiny fraction of people who are regarded as competent in VBA have ever taken a class; mostly they learn by doing.

Unless you have absolutely no knowledge of the concept of computer programming, VBA is an easy language to learn. The much larger part is the Excel object model, which is just ... big.

Upvote 0
I think you'd find that only a tiny fraction of people who are regarded as competent in VBA have ever taken a class; mostly they learn by doing.

Unless you have absolutely no knowledge of the concept of computer programming, VBA is an easy language to learn. The much larger part is the Excel object model, which is just ... big.

What is your suggestion then, shg? That I just learn as I get the awareness that something can be automatized?

Upvote 0
My advice is to start with a problem you want to solve (that is critically important -- IMO it's impossible to learn something that you have no idea how you want to apply), learn to use the macro recorder, read and understand the code it generates, learn to clean up the results, and ask a thousand questions. Look at the questions other people ask, look at the answers, see if they make sense, add to your knowledge base.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Buy some books and then use forums like this one as a source of problems to solve, and compare what you come up with to what others do. It's a great way to learn as it's part trial and error, part teaching, and a lot of reinforcement.

Upvote 0
Thanks, guys. Your help really means a lot.

I will have a look at the links you provided and decide whether makes sense to have actual classes or just learn by myself.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back