Way to automatically have formulas start with = sign

skyhigh_ct

Is there a way to have excel automatically put = into each cell at the start of data entry? [instead of manually pressing the +/= key]

This would help when entering data that requires going back and adding to formula.

Thanx

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Is there a way to have excel automatically put = into each cell at the start of data entry? [instead of manually pressing the +/= key]

This would help when entering data that requires going back and adding to formula.

Thanx
How would Excel know that you were about to enter a formula and not just some text into the cell?

Upvote 0
I was hoping to find a way to put Excel into a "data entry mode" from a VBA/macro?

I am trying to eliminate extra key strokes is possible when doing a lot of numeral data entry.

Thanx for the comments.

Upvote 0
There's a sorta-kinda way of doing this: in Tools>Options (in xl2003 and below) go to the Transitions tab and check Transition Formula Entry under the Sheet Options.

This will only work to allow the user to avoid typing +/= on entry of a sum formula like 50+100 say, not to enter more traditional formulas like =SUM() or =VLOOKUP.

Upvote 0
I need the = because each entry will require updating; adding to the initial value with (+ 123) each month or so.

If you enter the initial value with a + or just the #, you will have to go into the formula bar for each cell and then add "=" or "+" at the beginning of the formula then add (+/-) the new data (while maintaining the integrity of the input).

My entering originally with =, I can go back later and more easily add to it.

Upvote 0
I think you may need to better explain your data layout and expected result here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back