Web Query Questions

imported_unknown

Hi,

I am trying to download a variety of stock data from the web using a web query that allows inputing certain parameters (specifically a stock quote symbol). The other posts were very helpful as was the Web Connectivity kit. However, when I use the three line web query below it works, whereas the four line web query does not. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong on the 4 line web query?

3-Line Query:

WEB
http://moneycentral.msn.com/scripts/webquote.dll?ipage=qd&Symbol=["Symbol","Enter Stock Symbol"]&SUBMIT1=Go

4-Line Query:

WEB
http://moneycentral.msn.com/scripts/webquote.dll
ipage=qd&Symbol=["Symbol","Enter Stock Symbol"]&SUBMIT1=Go

Furthermore, when I try and edit query 3 once I've run it in Excel, it takes me to the web page and allows me to check/uncheck the tables I want. Fine. However, once I import the form back in to Excel, it automatically converts to a static query as opposed to a query with the Symbol parameter that I can modify.

If any of you have any suggestions, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Laurance

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I don't know if this will help you, but I have downloaded stock information from Yahoo Finance and it gives you the option to download it as an excel spreadsheet.

Then all you have to do is open it, without going through the import wizard.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip. I'm afraid though that I am looking to automate my information retrieval system, and also to pull data from other sources as well. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Laurance

Upvote 0
Hi Unknown,

One thing I noticed in the 4-Line Query you don't have a "?" after "/webquote.dll as like 3-Line Query.

Upvote 0
I don't know how "deep" into this project you are, but i do something very similar with Yahoo finance.

I create a portfolio of the stock symbols i want to get data on, then do a web query of that portfolio. The query goes to an "import page" on the spreadsheet, and then i use VLookUp on the other spreadsheet pages to get the data i want from the ImportPage and manipulate it however i want.

I recommend VLookUp for this, even if you only want to view the portfolio page in a spreadsheet, because the first stock quote line doesn't always come in on the same place (depending upon the number and/or size of the ads that Yahoo puts on the portfolio view page).

Let me know if this works for you or if i can be of any further assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arndtea

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back