Web query works on one computer but not another

PitVipers

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a simple web query in Excel that pulls in the latest PGA tour leaderboard from Masters Tournament - Golf Leaderboard and Results - ESPN

It works fine on my old laptop (Windows 10, Excel 365 Version 2205 build 15130.20000) but on my new laptop (Windows 11, same Excel build) when my query tries to refresh, I get an error message saying "The remote server return an HTTP status code '404'". If I run a web query on the main www.espn.com homepage, it works fine, and I can run other web queries for different sites, but for some reason it's not working on this particular page even though the same web query works fine on my old laptop.

I'm not sure if there is an Excel setting that I can change or if it's a Windows 11 setting or something with my firewall on my new laptop. Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Having the very same issue from the same web page for the current tournament, works fine on a Windows 10 machine but two windows 11 machines, one is a new build and one is an upgrade from Win 10. I suspect it is caused because WIn 11 does not have IE installed but haven't found any answer so far.

Upvote 0
Having the very same issue from the same web page for the current tournament, works fine on a Windows 10 machine but two windows 11 machines, one is a new build and one is an upgrade from Win 10. I suspect it is caused because WIn 11 does not have IE installed but haven't found any answer so far.
Glad to hear I'm not alone, but I still haven't found a solution.

Upvote 0
I have a simple web query in Excel that pulls in the latest PGA tour leaderboard from Masters Tournament - Golf Leaderboard and Results - ESPN

It works fine on my old laptop (Windows 10, Excel 365 Version 2205 build 15130.20000) but on my new laptop (Windows 11, same Excel build) when my query tries to refresh, I get an error message saying "The remote server return an HTTP status code '404'". If I run a web query on the main www.espn.com homepage, it works fine, and I can run other web queries for different sites, but for some reason it's not working on this particular page even though the same web query works fine on my old laptop.

I'm not sure if there is an Excel setting that I can change or if it's a Windows 11 setting or something with my firewall on my new laptop. Any suggestions?
I too have this problem. I have a laptop (Windows 11 upgraded from 10) where all of a sudden the excel query that I've been using for years just stopped. It didn't stop directly after the upgrade to 11. It worked for a long time before failing. The same excel query file works fine on my dell tower. My stock trading partner has the opposite problem. The same program works on his laptop but not his tower. Both of his machines are Windows 10 with the same updates. Not only does the query not work but if we try to go to Data-from web- and type in our URL it won't open the page in the preview window. We are using excel 2007 AND 2019. So it doesn't appear to be relative to the excel version as it works on both versions. And doesn't appear to be relative to the windows version because mine works on 11 his works on 10. It's just my laptop and his tower that won't work. All are Dell. This is so frustrating and i have read enough forums to know it's not uncommon. I would think Microsoft would put some energy into trying to help us. If anybody has found a solution please share! Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back