Week # of Month, with Monday beginning Sunday

JPARKHURST

Board Regular
I have the following formula which is giving me 5/6/18 as Week 2.

I'm sure I'm making a simple mistake - but why? This same formula gives me dates 4/29 - 5/5 as being in Week 5 of April

Then for 5/6/2018 - 5/12/18 it tells me Week 2.

="Week " & WEEKNUM(N5,1)-WEEKNUM(DATE(YEAR(N5),MONTH(N5),1),1)+1

Any insight is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
I haven't used the WEEKNUM function much myself, but taking a look at Excel help for this function, it appears to me that WEEKNUM isn't necessarily appropriate for calculating week number within a month, it's more for week number within a year.

Have you considered a different approach - setting up your own calendar somewhere in the worksheet, and then looking up any date against that calendar ?
You can then set the "week in month" numbers however you like.

By the way, just a small thing - you've quoted dates in at least 3 different formats in your OP, and in addition we have to guess that you're using a MM/DD/YY format :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

No, it is not meant for this function really at all, but it seems to be working in all but this one instance.

I guess I could setup a calendar and just manually enter what week they are, but that doesn't seem like an ideal. I'm really hoping I can figure this out programatically vs. just making (and remaking) a data matrix.

Date formats do not reflect the format displayed, just my scattered brain.

Upvote 0
It should be do-able programatically as well, i.e. via a formula, if you can be clear about how you define how you want to calculate the week numbers.

Without having thought about it much, I think the issue comes down to how do you define where exactly week 1 begins.

You've said your week begins on a Monday, so . . .

If the first of the month is a Monday, then week 1 starts on the 1st and goes up to Sunday 7th.
If the first of the month is a Tuesday, what do you want to do about that ? Does Tuesday 1st belong to the last week of the previous month, and week 1 of this month starts on Mon 7th ?
OR, does week 1 start on the last day (Monday) of the previous month ?
Same question for the other 5 possible starting weekdays for the month.

If you can state your answers to each of these scenarios, someone on here (perhaps me :) ) can probably come up with a formula solution.

Upvote 0
Ack. I keep replying but site times me out before I am finished.

Very quickly, my months begin on first Sunday of the month. So if today is the 7th and is a Sunday, my month begins on the 7th.

I'm just really looking to distinguish the week of the month automatically for ease of use. It's not a huge deal, i just like to have things auto'd.

Upvote 0
Perhaps:

B2: =ROUNDUP((DAY(A2+1-WEEKDAY(A2)))/7,0)

Book1
AB
1DateWeekNo
2Sat 28 Apr 20184
3Sun 29 Apr 20185
4Mon 30 Apr 20185
5Tue 1 May 20185
6Wed 2 May 20185
7Thu 3 May 20185
8Fri 4 May 20185
9Sat 5 May 20185
10Sun 6 May 20181
Sheet1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back