Weighting Linear Trend Lines

Rob P.

I have historic data which is on a line graph to which, I add a trendline in order to measure the accuracy of my forecast. I would like to have the ability to weight the near term dates (say within the last year) heavier with the premise that near term results are a closer approximation of the true trend rather than data from 2 or 3 years ago.

I've seen a post referring to using bubble charts but I wasn't able to see the impact of the weighting when I changed the bubble sizes.

Any ideas (or external software) which can help solve this problem?

Rob P.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Not sure I understand. It sounds like you've developed a forecast, which you've backtested and plotted against the actuals from prior years. Where does the weighting come in? Wouldn't you just show that the gap between actual and forecast is small for recent years but perhaps larger for years far in the past?

Or, is your question how to actually develop the forecast so that it weighs recent years' input more? If so, I'm a bit confused by your use of linear trend lines... perhaps you're looking for exponential smoothing (part of the analysis toolpak)?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back