Weird Characters in Imported CSV files

cmccall95

I received a large amount of .CSV files from a client, and these files came from all over the world. Some of them are showing odd characters throughout the file when importing. I asked the origin of the particular files and was told the original languages were English and Spanish. I notice there are many that are Russian Language entries as well. I'm not sure the correct way to get the data to display correctly. To combat the Spanish to English problem, I have added the Spanish Language packs and also tried importing the CSV as "65001 : Unicode (UTF-8)". This changed the characters but did not make them correct.

Is there maybe a VBA code out there that can loop and convert these to whatever they are supposed to be? Or maybe remove them entirely? My next idea is loading the CSV files with a Python script and see if that is any different. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the import or possible the CSV file. When I open the original file in Wordpad, I see the same characters. Any advice is appreciated.

Examples:
-López
-Escuela República de Argentina
-Escuela de Música Salta
-ÆÑâ
-°4001
-ÞôõÑÂьúð ×ÞÃÂ

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Yes if the coding characters can be known - easy just asking the creator of the source csv text files ! -​
some ways exist directly under VBA / Windows as you can find on Net, in fact whatever the coding language …​
For further help I need you link a source csv text file in a files host website like Dropbox for example.​
Unfortunately, I am very limited on what I can do. I can't sure the information due to the NDA with the organization. They aren't sure where the files came from and are looking into it now.

Upvote 0
Try to open a source csv text file with Notepad++ …​

Upvote 0
Really under Notepad++ ? As it is very not Notepad neither WordPad …​

Upvote 0
**Copied directly from Notepad++**
,Ірина,УÑатова,,,"ОдеÑька ЗОШ

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back