What additional if statement do i need to add?

MurphDog

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I decided to merge 2 columns on my budget spreadsheet and it works, but I am wanting to make an adjustment. My eyes are playing tricks on me though so I'm asking for some help please.

I merged this "minimum payment" column...

=IF($D4<25,$D4,IF($D4*2%<25,25,IF($D4*2%>25,$D4*2%)))

and this "actual payment" column...

=VLOOKUP(C4,'Personal Budget'!$A$4:$M$157,MONTH(TODAY())+1,0)

to make this "payment" column...

=IF($D4<25,$D4,VLOOKUP($C4,'Personal Budget'!$A$4:$M$157,MONTH(TODAY())+1,0))

It works!

What I want to add is that if the vlookup formula finds $C4 = 0, then $D4*2%

I'm pretty sure that I need to just surround the vlookup formula with an IF statement, I just can't get the () right or something. Please advise.

Ultimately, if my balance amount (D4) is less than $25 but greater than 0, then display D4, otherwise if C4 from Personal Budget sheet is 0, then display D4*2%, otherwise display C4 from Personal Budget sheet.

Hope that makes sense, another way of putting it... if, when it searches C4 it find 0, then display D4*2%.

Maybe these need to be put in a different order?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Try

=IF($D4<25,$D4,IF(VLOOKUP($C4,'Personal Budget'!$A$4:$M$157,MONTH(TODAY())+1,0)=0,$D4*2%,VLOOKUP(C4,'Personal Budget'!$A$4:$M$157,MONTH(TODAY())+1,0)))

Upvote 0
Your formula works perfectly, except for, my fault, I just realized that I need and left out the the portion about D4*2%<25,25. hmm. Still working on tweaking it.

Upvote 0
correction, i am missing the statement that says if D4*2%>25, then D4*2%

Upvote 0
Not sure where you want to check if "D4*2%>25", is it if the lookup value is zero?

=IF($D4<25,$D4,IF(VLOOKUP($C4,'Personal Budget'!$A$4:$M$157,MONTH(TODAY())+1,0)=0,$D4*2%,VLOOKUP(C4,'Personal Budget'!$A$4:$M$157,MONTH(TODAY())+1,0)))

Upvote 0
Not sure where you want to check if "D4*2%>25", is it if the lookup value is zero?

sorry about the confusion. This column represents credit card payments, so the number I'm looking for is typically what represents the lowest minimum payment creditors would take. D4 is the total balance due.

Trying to sneak that formula into what you gave me. As the help you gave me works great so far.

These are the items that would display in that cell, in order of what I think would be the priority but maybe another order works better.

$D4 = Total balance if less than 25
or
VLOOKUP = actual payment manually entered into the other sheet
or
Minimum payment if $D4*2%<25 would display 25
or
Minimum payment if $D4*2%>25 would display $D4*2%

Upvote 0
To reduce formula a bit, try:
Code:
=MIN($D4,MIN(MAX(25,$D4*0.02),VLOOKUP(C4,'Personal Budget'!$A$4:$M$157,MONTH(TODAY())+1,0)))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To reduce formula a bit, try:
Code:
=MIN($D4,MIN(MAX(25,$D4*0.02),VLOOKUP(C4,'Personal Budget'!$A$4:$M$157,MONTH(TODAY())+1,0)))

Trying this out, but it looks like I may need to make a modification to it.

Upvote 0
The logic seemed to work for me but it was guess work.
If you have stuff like If X < 15, x, 15) it's same as MIN(x, 15), so using MIN and MAX can help shorted IF statements.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back