What am I missing in my formula for adding leading zeroes to my list?

Sampoline

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all.

1608258863664.png

I have a formula that works out column B from column A:
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-LEN(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-SEARCH("#",SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/","#",LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/","")))))))&IF(ISERROR(VALUE(TEXT(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-(LEN(A2)-LEN(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-SEARCH("#",SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/","#",LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/","")))))))),"00"))), "0" & RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-(LEN(A2)-LEN(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-SEARCH("#",SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/","#",LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/","")))))))),TEXT(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-(LEN(A2)-LEN(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-SEARCH("#",SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/","#",LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/","")))))))),"00")),"/","-")

It works for the most part, except as shown by the red highlight. In Column C, the green highlighted cell is supposed to be the correct result. The formula I have above doesn't do this.

Can someone help me fix the formula?

Thanks.

Do you realize that in your first message you showed a leading zero for your A/VG/Z1/10a example? Anyway, give this formula a try...
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/",IF(LOOKUP(9.9E+307,--LEFT(TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/",REPT(" ",99)),99)),ROW($1:$99)))<10,"/0","/"),LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/","")))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Do you realize that in your first message you showed a leading zero for your A/VG/Z1/10a example? Anyway, give this formula a try...
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/",IF(LOOKUP(9.9E+307,--LEFT(TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/",REPT(" ",99)),99)),ROW($1:$99)))<10,"/0","/"),LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/","")))
My apologies Rick, you are right. My mistake.

With your formula, this is how it shows up:

1608523563183.png

Yep that fixed the leading zero issue, but I still need to substitute "/" for "-" then this will be perfect.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
That’s ent entirely different question, and not what you showed in your original question! It’s entirely possible, but will have to wait until I get to a computer

Upvote 0
I was so intent on fixing the leading zero problem that I forgot about the dashes. It's a simple fix... all we have to do is put another SUBSTITUTE function call around what I posted.
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/",IF(LOOKUP(9.9E+307,--LEFT(TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/",REPT(" ",99)),99)),ROW($1:$99)))<10,"/0","/"),LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/",""))),"/","-")

Upvote 0
Solution
This is a bit shorter, but probably not such a general solution:

Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(  IF(  ISERROR(1*MID(A1,10,1)),  SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","/0",3),  A1),  "/",  "-")

HTH

Upvote 0
I was so intent on fixing the leading zero problem that I forgot about the dashes. It's a simple fix... all we have to do is put another SUBSTITUTE function call around what I posted.
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/",IF(LOOKUP(9.9E+307,--LEFT(TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/",REPT(" ",99)),99)),ROW($1:$99)))<10,"/0","/"),LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"/",""))),"/","-")
Thanks for your help Rick, and cheers for yours too PJ. This was the right solution for me.

Much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back