What do you think would be quicker?

alexcn

Board Regular
... and why ...

1) Looking up a multiplier value from another excel worksheet by way of an excel lookup formula?
2) Looking up a multiplier value from an Access database by way of a VBA function in Excel and returning the value?
3) Looking up a multiplier value from an SQL database by way of a VBA function in Excel and returning the value?

Many thanks,

Alex

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Depends on what data, the type of data, size of data, connectivity, etc., you are looking up.

Upvote 0
Thanks for reply!

Basically looking up price values / contract specifications in a centralised database (held in either Excel Lists or Access or SQL) So the search would be denoted based on two / three criteria (usually an item code, a department code and an effective date) the data returned would either be a price to 6 decimal places, or a text string no greater than 50 characters.

Connection would be either internal Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 on the same network, or an externally hosted SQL server connecting over a standard internet connection.

I am more thinking of semantics than anything else ...

Depends on what data, the type of data, size of data, connectivity, etc., you are looking up.

Upvote 0
Hi Alex,

IMO looking up by suitable worksheet function to another worksheet should be fastest. Worksheet functions are intrinsically faster than the other options.

However, I'm assuming a single lookup code. Such as by concatenating - maybe into a hard coded (non-formula) value - the two or three criteria to give a single value that can be matched/looked up to the table.

Sometimes SUMPRODUCT or array formulas are used to do look ups with multiple criteria and these are not efficient and not fast - and in fact can have very poor performance.

If you have multiple fields to match on, an alternative to using a function might be to use SQL - and either join the tables or put the matching criteria in a WHERE clause. If this is suitable for your application, such a database style approach can offer advantages. My guess is this may not suit exactly what you want.

HTH, Fazza

Upvote 0
Thanks Fazza - I will investigate your comments and revert in due course.

Hi Alex,

IMO looking up by suitable worksheet function to another worksheet should be fastest. Worksheet functions are intrinsically faster than the other options.

However, I'm assuming a single lookup code. Such as by concatenating - maybe into a hard coded (non-formula) value - the two or three criteria to give a single value that can be matched/looked up to the table.

Sometimes SUMPRODUCT or array formulas are used to do look ups with multiple criteria and these are not efficient and not fast - and in fact can have very poor performance.

If you have multiple fields to match on, an alternative to using a function might be to use SQL - and either join the tables or put the matching criteria in a WHERE clause. If this is suitable for your application, such a database style approach can offer advantages. My guess is this may not suit exactly what you want.

HTH, Fazza

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back