What do you use Excel for?

Chris Stamford

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a question for those people, whose work is not connected with Excel very tighly. For what purposes do you use Excel for?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Though I do use it for work, I do also use it for a bunch of non-work related purporses, such as:
- I created a program to automatically balance my checkbook in Excel (I just make the line entry, as it does all the balancing)
- do loan payment calculations when I am shopping for a new car
- store important information in lists that I can sort and filter, as I need

Thank you! I just wanted to know how I can use Excel more efficiently.

From some of the posts online here over the years, I have also seen people use it to Catalog their music, movies, books, etc.
There are lots of different ways you can use it, depending on your needs and interests.

There are lots of different ways you can use it, depending on your needs and interests.
I totally agree!

From my experience, Excel doesn't come to you without you having a requirement/need but you eventually end up working in Excel when you realize that you can do almost all kinds of data manipulation with it. The following is just a sample that might give another usage idea.

When I import data from other sources to a database, like Excel, text/CSV files, etc., I often use Excel to create SQL statements, so I can manipulate data as I wish before the import. Following is a sample of creating INSERT INTO statements to be executed to transfer data. Although this is for creating data, I use the same logic to create UPDATE statements which make things really faster.
(Names and information in the mini-sheets below are not real)
Book4
ABCDEF
1First NameLast NameCityStateZipSQL Statement
2JamesButtNew OrleansLA70116INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('James', 'Butt', 'New Orleans', 'LA', '70116');
3JosephineDarakjyBrightonMI48116INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Josephine', 'Darakjy', 'Brighton', 'MI', '48116');
4ArtVenereBridgeportNJ8014INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Art', 'Venere', 'Bridgeport', 'NJ', '8014');
5LennaPaprockiAnchorageAK99501INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Lenna', 'Paprocki', 'Anchorage', 'AK', '99501');
6DonetteFollerHamiltonOH45011INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Donette', 'Foller', 'Hamilton', 'OH', '45011');
7SimonaMorascaAshlandOH44805INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Simona', 'Morasca', 'Ashland', 'OH', '44805');
8MitsueTollnerChicagoIL60632INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Mitsue', 'Tollner', 'Chicago', 'IL', '60632');
9LeotaDilliardSan JoseCA95111INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Leota', 'Dilliard', 'San Jose', 'CA', '95111');
10SageWieserSioux FallsSD57105INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Sage', 'Wieser', 'Sioux Falls', 'SD', '57105');
11KrisMarrierBaltimoreMD21224INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Kris', 'Marrier', 'Baltimore', 'MD', '21224');
12MinnaAmigonKulpsvillePA19443INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Minna', 'Amigon', 'Kulpsville', 'PA', '19443');
13AbelMacleadMiddle IslandNY11953INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Abel', 'Maclead', 'Middle Island', 'NY', '11953');
14KileyCaldareraLos AngelesCA90034INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Kiley', 'Caldarera', 'Los Angeles', 'CA', '90034');
15GracielaRutaChagrin FallsOH44023INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Graciela', 'Ruta', 'Chagrin Falls', 'OH', '44023');
16CammyAlbaresLaredoTX78045INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('Cammy', 'Albares', 'Laredo', 'TX', '78045');
customer data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2:F16F2="INSERT INTO customer VALUES ('" & A2 &"', '" & B2 &"', '" & C2 &"', '" & D2 &"', '" & E2 &"');"

Not only for SQL but generating text content in Excel by using formulas and its tabular structure easily helps me a lot in many other applications. The following is a sample of an HTML list that I will use in a static HTML page and created quickly instead of typing all those in the editor:
Book4
ABC
1First NameLast Name<ul>
2JamesButt<li>James Butt</li>
3JosephineDarakjy<li>Josephine Darakjy</li>
4ArtVenere<li>Art Venere</li>
5LennaPaprocki<li>Lenna Paprocki</li>
6DonetteFoller<li>Donette Foller</li>
7SimonaMorasca<li>Simona Morasca</li>
8MitsueTollner<li>Mitsue Tollner</li>
9LeotaDilliard<li>Leota Dilliard</li>
10SageWieser<li>Sage Wieser</li>
11KrisMarrier<li>Kris Marrier</li>
12MinnaAmigon<li>Minna Amigon</li>
13AbelMaclead<li>Abel Maclead</li>
14KileyCaldarera<li>Kiley Caldarera</li>
15GracielaRuta<li>Graciela Ruta</li>
16CammyAlbares<li>Cammy Albares</li>
17</ul>
html list data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C16C2="<li>" & A2 & " " & B2 & "</li>"

In our organization, I recently worked on creating a VBA based tool that
> Creates multiple AutoCAD Drawings based on a selected template
> Opens AutoCAD, updates the drawings by mapping the values assigned in a table.
It translates Engineer's work directly to drawings and reduces manual work and review time.

As you go on digging, you will find Excel with its powerful features, creates a vast array of endless possibilities. Keep exceling!!

I've kept a running (exercise) log in Excel since 1998 and thanks to the marvellous, clever and selfless folk on this board who've tirelessly helped me out, it's become an amazing app and a pleasure to use.

I do a lot data processing and filteration, creating reports for my company and for that excel is my go to tool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back