What I would like to see in Excel 2016

Dryver14

I'd like a fixed TODAY() function

I know Today() is useful and relevant to alot of date coding but a lot of people ask how to hardcode it.

I think something like FIXTODAY() and FIXNOW() where when you use them that date or time are hardcoded
would be a useful thing.

Ideas, thoughts?

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Wow, that gets the date, : and ; are on the same key how do i seperate the 2?

Use the Shift key in the usual way, so Ctrl-; and Shift-Ctrl-;

Here's what I want:

• The ability to use (load) CustomViews on a protected worksheet.
  • The ability to allow formulae in tables to autofill on a protected worksheet.
  • The ability to multi-select sheets from the Unhide sheets dialog so that I can unhide more than 1 at a time.
  • The ability to (un)protect multiple sheets in one hit (suing a common password).
  • The ability to use (date) grouping in PowerPivot pivot tables.
  • I also wish that slicer formats would properly apply to slicers when the affected pivot table contains calculated items. At the moment items with no values do not inherit the specified format.
  • More text manipulation functions.
  • Finally there are certain worksheet properties that are not preserved in the workbook memory. For example, EnableOutlining! If I set this to True then even still the outlines are disabled on a protected sheet when the workbook is opened; forcing me to use the Workbook_Open event to allow users to expand/contract groups in a protected sheet. Sometimes I wish I could enable this in a macro-free workbook; but alas this remains impossible.

There you go Microsoft; my 2016 wish list. :)

For me the restrictions imposed by worksheet protection is a real killer. Experience has taught me the importance of locking things down and controlling how users use my spreadsheets. It's just amazing how apt users are at breaking and tampering with spreadsheets. Yet when w/s protection is applied so many of the really cool features become impossible.

Good list,

I'm joining you on the unhide multiple worksheets.

Not ideal, but you could copy this into the immediate window

Code:
 for each sht in thisworkbook.Worksheets: sht.visible=true: next sht

You know what would be cool? A dialog that utilises a dropdown similar to that of autofilter. So one where you can (de)select multiple items, but also use a search box. I rarely have too many sheets in a workbook but I know lots of people that flood there workbooks with sheets so it might be handy for the longer lists of sheet names. And even useful for those that have some commonality in sheet names, so one could filter e.g. sales, and it would list all sheets that contains that keyword.

I hope MS are taking notes ;)

You could make one in about 10 minutes... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back