What is a better method (iterate a list?) than a PQ conditional column using "contains" ???

Purplehazed

I import banking data into Power Query (PQ).

One column shows the vendor in a messy string,
example 1) 0000123456 HomeDepot xyzHD store 1234.
example 2) 1234000000 Lowes xyzstoreHBG12

I've been adding a conditional column in PQ that says, if column x contains HomeDept then insert "Home Improvement" in the new column.
If column x contains Lowes then insert "Home Improvement" in the new column.

The conditional column list is has gotten very long... There has to be a way to tell PQ to iterate an external source (an imported table) and search for words in a list and create/add to a conditional column
with having to go through the clunky method I described above...

What is the better way?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
you could create a list to lookup
BUT will the name ALWAYS be after the 1st SPACE and the end of the name be the 2nd SPACE
=VLOOKUP(TRIM(MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1),FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2)+1) - FIND(" ",A2,1) )),H:I,2,FALSE)

Column B,C,& D are there just to show the formula in Action, all you need is column E and the lookup table in column H & I

Book3
ABCDEFGHI
1First spacesecondspaceLookupvlookup TableTABLE
20000123456 HomeDepot xyzHD store 1234.1121HomeDepotHome ImprovementHomeDepotHome Improvement
31234000000 Lowes xyzstoreHBG121117LowesHome ImprovementLowesHome Improvement
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B3B2=FIND(" ",A2,1)
C2:C3C2=FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2)+1)
D2:D3D2=TRIM(MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1),FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2)+1) - FIND(" ",A2,1) ))
E2:E3E2=VLOOKUP(TRIM(MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1),FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2)+1) - FIND(" ",A2,1) )),H:I,2,FALSE)

Upvote 0
Thanks etaf!!!

I will give your suggestion a try and it may be a solution but the point you raised about exact spacing will likely cause a problem...

The snippet below is literally the PQ applied step adding a conditional column....

Take a look at the BP#24 Value. BP#24 is the bank export from buying gas at a British Petroleum station.

If I go to the BP station three times I may get three different exports from the bank, examples below;
- BP#24
- BritPetro Smith St.
- BPetro#24pump3

I want all three to output "Auto Gas" in the output column.

I have had to create a PQ add clause step three times using three different (unique identifies from above in Blue) all outputting "Auto Gas" in the output column.

Even if I have to keep adding unique identifies because the exported data changes (see blue above) I would like to do so with a better method that creating 1,000 add clauses (see snippet below)

Is there a way to create a PQ applied step that in human words says, "go iterate an excel list located <here> and if you find x in the list, insert y in the output, if you find a in the list, insert b in the output...

I want to bypass the PQ Add Clause steps.

I know there is a way, just don't know what it is yet:(

Thanks for the input!

1607528964870.png

Upvote 0
Sorry I dont know how to improve that without a list of possible outputs - I guess if you know *BP* will cover all the Auto Gas , BUT not also be some other debit, thats the issue when it gets down to being just a couple of characters.
I have the same issue doing my home accounts , with a pivot table off the bank statement CSV output

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back