What is a "Bloodhound" virus?

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
ViperGTS,

You have mail. The more I think about it, and after looking at the module with macros disabled, I cannot understand why it would trigger a virus-scanner.

Is it possible that the compiler differences between regional versions could create a false-positive?

I have noticed that the Excel 97 at work will produce errors on a workbook that has last been compiled on XP 2002. Compile it again, on Excel 97, and the problem (seems) to go away.

My Excel 97 at home doesn't have issues, just the box at work.

I am beginning to think that it was all these little quirky issues that motivated Microsoft to create .Net, with it's various departures from what was 'classic' VB/VBA.

Upvote 0
Bloodhound is one of the heuristic viruses. That means that there is no virus, but that the virus software sees code that it thinks could be virus like. In an effort to be overly cautious, the virus company raises the red flag, then requires the software maker to submit to the virus company why this isn't a virus.

I once had an application that would selectively decide if a new workbook would be created. If the workbook was created, then I needed to move a new Workbook_Open macro to the new Workbook.

Because I was using VBE inside of an IF construct, some virus code somewhere decided that it looked virus like.

The funny thing - they decided this 8 months after the app was installed at the client and while it was running on 146 laptops across the company. During LiveUpdate, Norton sends down new virus definitions and new heuristics, and wham! 146 people arrive at work saying they have a virus and it is in my workbook. The good news... what Norton wrought, they could also take away, and the next day, the virus definitions were changed and that legitimate code was never again recognized as being "virus like".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back