what is convention for linking *.xlam?

excel_user_a

I am using Office 2007 Excel and have been trying to determine the convention for linking an xlam library to an xlsm application.

Suppose a.xlsm references b.xlam. Furthermore suppose we have 3 directories in our share: Xdir, Ydir and Zdir. Suppose a is in Ydir.

Now let's imagine a two scenarios:

1. two copies of b: Xdir\b and Ydir\b. Which does a reference?
2. two copies of b: Ydir\b and Zdir\b. Which does a reference?

If linkage is "local first" then both 1 + 2 link a to Ydir\b.

If linkage is "alphabetic sorted path first", then 1 + 2 have different answers (Xdir\b and Ydir\b respectively). Our observations have been that this is actually the case. However we wish to verify this with someone - it seems incredible.

thanks
Evan

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
The XLAM is an add-in - so you have to hook it up under xl options - if you activate the add-in - that code will run anytime you open Excel. The idea being you can then load a normal XLSX file and via the toolbar apply your code from the XLAM file to the data in the XLSM file - hope this makes sense to you.

If you now load a XLSM file -then it is like having 2 XLSM workbooks running at the same time, which is fine - as long as they dont mess with each other.

So I dont really understand your question.

Upvote 0
I understand the xlam is an addin that is "tied" to xlsm app. The reason we have TWO copies of xlam is because one is production and other is development. We need to make a second copy for development work, and we are too lazy to change the name.

So when we make the copy, we would imagine that the original app (xlsm) reference would NOT CHANGE. However, depending on where we make the copy to, the original reference DOES change. It is very strange. Hence my previous email which outlined a convention that would agree with the observation.

Upvote 0
ohhh - I see. I do all my developement in the XLSM copy (with the XLAM previous version not active) - all my data still come from xlsx files. Do you have both copies running at the same time?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back