What is the best way to find matches between two columns.

howie66822

What is the best way to find matching data using excel? Here is my problem. I have 2 COLUMNS setup in the following manner:

Column A

Existing Name (misc. format)

DOE JOHN
PETER, AL
UPLINGER TIM
WHATE ALBERT D.

Column B

Last, First MI

DOE, JOHN P
ROCCO, JOE
HALL, LINDA
PETER, AL J
THOMAS, PAUL J

Column A houses existing staff names
column b houses the names I want to use to search columna A to find any possible matches.

I would like to show the matched names in column C.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Sorry for adding more questions to this post, but I was just in the process of asking something similar. I haven’t used Excel that much, but what follows is similar to a “double join” in Lotus Approach. Is the FuzzyMatch code mentioned here all that is needed to address my problem? Any help is appreciated!

I have two sheets having varying numbers of records created from different sources. I want to compare sheet 1 to find matching records to sheet 2. Each record will have a product name and a product number column, and these are the fields to be used in the comparison. I want to determine which records in sheet 1 match (and do not match) any records in sheet 2. Given the rough example and the following information,

[HTML removed by Von Pookie]

• sheet 1 will undoubtedly contain fewer records than sheet 2 (possibly several hundred vs. 10,000 plus);
• The product name may not be unique to the product number, i.e. multiple names could exist for one product number (see red);
• The names may be written differently between the two sheets, yet they still should be a match if the number is the same (see all but black);
• Some product numbers may have additional digits on the end (see red).

Is there a way to match records between the two sheets with these two fields without having an exact match or specifying which sets of characters (1-3, 1-7, right 5, middle 3, etc) to use? That is, is there a way to set the matched substring length to say 5 or 7, and have a match returned if any 5 or 7 sequential characters within the string match?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back