what is these...

aljundy2006

1. What is the difference between Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word? What are the functions, advantages and disadvantages of both programs?

2. What are the differences between a cell, worksheet and a workbook? How to color code sheet tabs to make them easier to be recognized? How to view different parts of a worksheet at the same time? How to view different worksheets at the same time?

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
1) Excel is predominantly a statistical tool, suitable for analysis and such like, alongside the presentation of such a context of material through its use of 'cells', little squares that are defined by their column (A, B, C, AA etc) and their row number (1,2,3,150 etc). Conversely, Word is a typewriting tool, suitable for laying out typed documents in a well presented way, as well as providing various tools and formatting options to allow a document to be created and viewed. Essentially they are both quite different programs, but being part of the MS Office suite, enjoy a large level of compatability in terms of displaying spreadsheets as part of word documents. The general rule should be that if you're trying to do something 'Maths' wise then use excel, if you're trying to do something language wise, then use word.

2) A cell is a square on a worksheet that is defined by its co-ordinate, such as A1, C53 etc. In versions prior to excel 2007, each worksheet has 256 columns and 256 ^2 rows, each pointing to a unique cell. These cells can be resized and have various formatting options performed to display data. This collection of cells forms a worksheet, of which many can exist in a workbook. A workbook is a collection of worksheets, and a worksheet is a collection of cells.

It is not possible to colour the tabs (as far as i'm aware), unless you use a hack that uses API calls to alter system colours. Not really viable as a real solution, but the hack proves it can be done.

You can view different parts of a worksheet at the same time by either freezing panes, or indeed you can open multiple instances of the same document and view different areas within different instances.

Upvote 0
Code:
It is not possible to colour the tabs (as far as i'm aware)
unless you are using a newer version of excel (I have excel 2002 sp3) in which case right click on the tab name and choose tab colour. I do not know which version first implemented this.

Upvote 0
Don't beat up on it, Patrick. It was a good piece of software - 97% of the time. I guess that's where it got it's name. :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back